Belted 30-06

I have a belted 30-06 case, appears to be varnished. Gunsmith removed it from a gun someone had managed to close action and fire it. Berdan primed, larger than US large rifle. Photos on request, I don’t know how to attach to this msg. VResp. R.E.Treis

a-7s4ever–Go here for instructions on how to post images on the Forum.

iaaforum.org/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=63

Sounds like a Russian lacquered steel case .30-06 made by Barnaul. It’s not belted, but rather has a groove Round the circumfrence of the case just above the case head. I know of no belted .30-06 case, much less lacquered steel, and cannot beleive that one could close the bolt of any .30-06 rifle on any belted cartridge case.

AKMS

AKMS

It’s more than likely a Barnaul but, believe it or don’t, there are belted '06s. Most are wildcats but I recently got an empty case from one of our fellow Forum members that appears to be factory made. And then there is the 240 Weatherby which is nothing more than a belted '06.

I’ll hold my judgement until I see a photo and dimensions.

Ray

I would consider the 240 Weatherby as an improved 240 H&H belted rather than a 30/06 belted necked down.Rim and base diameters are the same,anyway

What is the purpose of the groove in Russian-made .30-06?

Looks like the verdict is in, Russian made, steel with the groove to compensate for excess headspace rather than a belt. Guess I don’t get to suppliment my retirement from my special find. Y’all boys got the fastest replies of any site I’ve visited. I think I’ll join you.

How does this groove compensate for extra headspace? And why is there extra headspace?

The European Cartridge Research Assn. put that info on me. I had the same question but was too proud to ask (and afraid of looking stupid).
RET

a-7s4ever,
That is OK, leave it to me, I am too old to be afraid to display my incompetence, let’s wait for one of the big shots to provide us with true knowledge.

iaaforum.org/forum2/viewtopic.ph … ul&start=0

a-7s4ever–One thing you NEVER need to worry about on our Forum is “Looking Stupid”. We do not allow it. Also, we have ALL been there at some point in our collecting history when we did not know the answers to what seemed to be a “dumb question”. Do not hesitate to ask ANY question. No matter how elemental it is, I will promise you will get a straight answer without being treated like a rookie.

PLEASE, do join the IAA (Click on it above". You will NOT be sorry. Go to the IAA home page for gobs of good information, especially for new collectors.

Ditto on the recommendation to join. I just received my packet (thanks for the quick mail, Mr. Burrus).

The info you receive in the initial member packet is worth more than the membership fee. That, combined with a tight online ‘ship’ like this, makes it especially worthwhile.

I was a coprolite for not joining sooner!

M

I like that word - coprolite. I’ll admit that I had to look it up, but it’s one that I will use from now on. :) :)

(I can hear the thunder of footsteps as everyone rushes to find their dictionary.)

Ray

I knew that one! In fact, I have a coprolite sitting on my desk as I write this. I get a chuckle every time I look at it…

AKMS