Belted Ammunition - just images

Do these pictures make anybody else start going crazy because they do not have the actual rounds?

1 Like

By “have” you mean in your collection?
No need for these images here, the whole life of an ammo researcher is about this!

Here 15x96 MG151 on a German Bf109.
The caliber is seldomly documented in such images and here we see TP loads.

Me109_15x96 MG151 TP

5 Likes

Yes I do mean have in your collection.

Polish crew of a Szyłka loading ammunition belts.

Ole

1 Like

enfield56
The picture you depicting rearming that Ju87 I wonder if it was the Machine of
Hans Ulrich Rudel it was known that he had on special order 2 of those canon mounted
under his wings.Under a more personal level he had a price on his head issuid by Stalin
himself for 100 000 Rubel he flew more than 2500 missions distroyed 519 tanks sank the
Battleship Marat 800 vihiclels and many other things he was shot down 30times at least
twice behind the Russian lines to get shot down buddys out and once even swamm a
river in subzero tempetures where he lost his gunner to reach German lines
He was the only recipidient of the Golden Nights cross awarded by Hitler after loosing
a leg in Jan 1945 and then flew some more T 34 in his sights
Sherryl

Sherryl, as you say (I read his book) he was the highest decorated German soldier.
He was living not very far from me for a while (near Hamburg if I got it right) . He passed in 1982.
In 1976 a Bundeswehr AF General lost his job for inviting Rudel to an official comrade meeting.

Here more 12.7x99 in US service being loaded.

Here in a P47 or (who can confirm)?:
P47 or P51

Here in a P51:
P51

Image source: internet

1 Like

EOD
Yes he passed in 1982 I have read a lot of these things in my live but his record
surpasses anything if had read,they absolutely loved him in South America and
yes I read his book also however as you know we have now an extremely generous
German Gouvernement they most likely have every year now in his honour a
general PISS UP on his grave only in Germany
Sherryl

Here some 20x110 Hispano rounds. My guess is on a British armoury.

Here a seldom guest, the German 50x420R linked for the MK214 aircraft gun.
The cartridge is the same as it was used in the 5cm Pak 38 AT gun, just with an electric primer.

Image source: internet

4 Likes

Very interesting! Only example of a link being longer than the cartridge?

I am not sure, but would not be surprised if there are more such designs.
Maybe our resident expert JFL here can tell us?

12.7x99 being belted at DENEL in South Africa.
Seems the belt on top is a “visual reference aid” in order to keep the order and quantity of loads correct.
Why no belt loading machine?

Image is from the DENEL 2007 annual report.

2 Likes

Looks like he might be joining some sections of belt, the belt loading machine/plate may have been used to make up the sections.

Might be but the top belt with red cartridges is clearly fixed and is a visual aid/sample.
The length of belts they have there appear to be the exact amount for a .50 belt box, no?

Quite interesting belt of SAPHEI and TP-T in a belt together. Is the TP-T being used to watch where the SAPHEI is going?

I have not seen a belt like that before, great photos!

Internet… :wink:

It is not all that uncommon to mix TP into belts of HE as when no true AP is around a TP is still a decent semi-AP. In particular when targets are not armored.
And as you say, the tracer here may be the key.
Also this might still be a life fire excersize and TP will reduce cost.
So several cross-over factors may apply here.
This was also done in WW2 already for example by the Germans where they used TP in belts for aircraft guns as a TP will be a good AP replacement for air combat.
Also keep in mind that back in earlyx WW2 and in particuloar in the 1930s that what we consider “TP” today was a “service” or “ball” load.

1 Like

And in the case of cartridges/calibers where full-size AP isn’t common (i.e. APDS/APFSDS is more widely used), TP-T make for a safer semi-AP round when used on helicopters and planes. Sabots and petals don’t make good friends with intakes and rotor/turbine blades.

I believe the British used TP-T rounds as the trace rounds in aircraft belt compositions during WW2, and if I am not mistaken some modern helicopter gun belt compositions still do this as certain calibers don’t have any non-DS AP munitions available.

Ole

1 Like