Belts for Russian SG-43 & SGM

Hello,

I am completing a study on metallic belts for SG-43 and SGM machine guns.

Here are two Czech 50-round belts.

You will note the long starter tag permanently attached to the first 50-round section and which is of the same design as that found on Russian 250-round belts (long starters attached at both ends).
You will also note the particuliar shape of the connecting links and which are very different from the connecting links found on later PK family belts.

I have two questions :

jpw = Zbrojovka Jablunka

JFK - may I say that your photography is magnificent. Along that entire belt’s length, there is not a single “hot spot” caused by lighting the picture, and the lighting is even over the entire picture, with the picture having depth. It is not flat. Great job. You must have an excellent lighting setup.

Is it a photo, or a scan? Scans are good, but it is hard to believe that is a scan, if it was.

John Moss

Thanks EOD for the id of the manufacturer.

John, yes these pictures are just scans.

JFL

JFL - firstly, I notice that I addressed you as “JFK”. Sorry about that. My fingers typed the initials of a famous U.S. President, John Fitzgerald Kennedy, instead of yours.

Your scans are marvelous. I cannot get those results as much as I have tried. I even work mine over in photo shop to get the best out of them that I can, but never that good. Good work!

John Moss

John, it depends much on the scanner you have. When you have an older model which is a “high” type you get a better depth effect and you can easily “take images” of 20mm rounds in good quality. The new scanners are “flat bed” types which have a poor depth effect which is limited to about 3mm/.12in or so. Even amongst the new types you can find different ones which deliver very big differences in image quality when it comes to 3D.

EOD - I have a Hewlitt Packard flat-bed type, Scanjet 4370. It is good with documents, box labels, etc. Good to fair with headstamps, depending, it seems on the headstmaps themselves (not the content, of course, but how well they are stamped, or I should say how deep they are stamped) although they all appear as “raised” letters, rather than impressed, and a total crap shoot with cartridges. Some turn out beautiful and some very poor.

Well, best I can do. I can still admire beautiful work like that from JFL and others, though.

John

I had the same problems for “thick objects” when I changed my old scanner for a flat Cannon new model. It was useles for what I wished to obtain, so now I use an EPSON Perfection 3170. It is a “high” type, cheap enough and it gives excellent results. I even used it to take pictures of a Galand revolver!!! It is also able to scan old negative films and slides.

This is purely free advertising!!!

Philippe

[quote=“philippe regenstreif”]I had the same problems for “thick objects” when I changed my old scanner for a flat Cannon new model. It was useles for what I wished to obtain, so now I use an EPSON Perfection 3170. It is a “high” type, cheap enough and it gives excellent results. I even used it to take pictures of a Galand revolver!!! It is also able to scan old negative films and slides.

This is purely free advertising!!!

Philippe[/quote]

I use an EPSON Perfection 1260 which also give excellent results on both flat paper and bulky cartridges. It still gives good pictures with 20mm Hispano and 20mm Oerlikon rounds. A good tip is to ask the salesman to demonstrate a scan and lay a bunch of keys on the glass to see how they look.

gravelbelly

Hello everybody,

maybe we should generate a new thread on scanners …

may we go back to the original subject of my thread and see if there is any information concerning the SG-43 belts …

Cheers,

JFL