Big-bore coiled cases - need some research help

Here are some photos of big-bore coiled-case cartridges in my collection:

a US 105mm Howitzer - I know the 105mm was fielded, but from when to when?

US Experimental 40mm Bofors L/60:

The head of the Bofors case:

An experimental West German 50mm case

I am currently researching a book on coiled-case ammunition through the years. If you know of any others like these, or have any information on the development of these 20th century coiled steel cases, it would help fill a very large gap in the story. Message me here or via email.

You may look into German coiled cases in WWII, there were plenty of different ones.

The 50x330 RH305 (Rheinmetall) is the latest I know of (the one you are showing above). One of the best guns.
Today it is the Bushmaster III of Boeing.

Once i had in my collection a soviet 122mm M38 rolled case made in 1944

Vince

Thanks guys. Looks like I’ll have to do a lot more digging, I didn’t know about WW2 usage.

Are you only doing “Large Bore” rounds or all coiled case rounds? And are you limiting it to steel coiled case or do you include brass also? Are you interested in 20th century only or all years?

Anything and everything - any caliber, any material. If it was made by wrapping or coiling metal (or metal and paper) I’m interested. I’m trying to trace the development from the early patents through today’s usage.

Aside from the Hotchkiss patent shells, I’ve found very little on artillery cases so far, other than there’s more out there than I imagined!

I did an article about these in one of the IAA Journals some years back. You might want to check the index. The biggest which I have ever seen are some German WW2 150mm AA gun experimentals which are at Aberdeen.

The biggest coiled steel case I have is for the German 17cm Kanone in m

[quote=“Western”]The biggest coiled steel case I have is for the German 17cm Kanone in m

150x1495mm is the German AA experimental case at Aberdeen.

[quote=“Western”]The biggest coiled steel case I have is for the German 17cm Kanone in m

[quote=“Forensic”][quote=“Western”]The biggest coiled steel case I have is for the German 17cm Kanone in m

I have a 76mm/62 caliber spiral wrapped case in my collection.
I also have an experimental 3"/70 caliber. It’s stamped: 3IN EXP NO 3-70 CAL 1954
This experimental case is much smaller in dia. than the standard one.
The photos show a standard 3"/70 round, the experimental 3"/70 round, a brass case 76mm/62 cal round & also the 76mm/62 caliber spiral wrapped case.

The only other spiral case I have is a 105mm M14B4.

home.comcast.net/~shelsrus/4rounds.JPG
home.comcast.net/~shelsrus/76_62case.JPG
home.comcast.net/~shelsrus/76_62spiralend.JPG
home.comcast.net/~shelsrus/76_62base.JPG
home.comcast.net/~shelsrus/76_62brassend.JPG
home.comcast.net/~shelsrus/3_70expend.JPG
home.comcast.net/~shelsrus/3_70_end.JPG

SHELSRUS - that’s a beauty! I sent you an email.

[quote=“SHELSRUS”]I have a 76mm/62 caliber spiral wrapped case in my collection.
I also have an experimental 3"/70 caliber. It’s stamped: 3IN EXP NO 3-70 CAL 1954
This experimental case is much smaller in dia. than the standard one.
The photos show a standard 3"/70 round, the experimental 3"/70 round, a brass case 76mm/62 cal round & also the 76mm/62 caliber spiral wrapped case.

The only other spiral case I have is a 105mm M14B4.

home.comcast.net/~shelsrus/4rounds.JPG
home.comcast.net/~shelsrus/76_62case.JPG
home.comcast.net/~shelsrus/76_62spiralend.JPG
home.comcast.net/~shelsrus/76_62base.JPG
home.comcast.net/~shelsrus/76_62brassend.JPG
home.comcast.net/~shelsrus/3_70expend.JPG
home.comcast.net/~shelsrus/3_70_end.JPG[/quote]

Real great images.
Is there a document covering these calibers?

Cyberwombat,

Give me some time and I will email you a list and some more photo’s

Enlarge the headstamp for a better vieuw.

2007 - and the coiled case soldiers on:

PFC Ben McKandles, D/319 FA, 173d Abn Bde, flips a spent round out of a M119A2, 105-mm howitzer, during training at Grafenwoehr, Germany. Photo by Jason L. Austin, USAREUR Public Affairs

PFC McKandles had better put on his asbestos gloves. That case is HOT!

Ray

If you are not already in contact with him, you should write John Babcock in Idaho to discuss coiled cases. Much of the WWII and later U.S. experimentation and production was done at Norris Industries in California. John worked there in the 1980s and arranged a tour of the factory and “sample room” for me. They had tons of examples on display of coiled cases they had worked on over the years. I’m sure he could shed some light on odd examples he saw there.

I wish I had seen your post earlier. I just sold and delivered a nice early 47mm Hotchkiss coiled case yesterday at a gun show in Washington. It had a very early internal primer with the steel head attached by 4 screws. The coiled brass section was very crudely done with a full length sprialed dent on the side opposite the seam. Sorry I didn’t get a photo before it went away.

Ordnance - thanks for the info! I sent you a PM.