Big shell identification

Hi !

Here is a 6 PDR 7 CWT from 1943.
I know nothing about big shells !
I think it is an armor piercing rround, isn’t it ?
Meaning of all these colored strips ?
Is it scarce ??
JP

That is an “Armour Piercing Discarding Sabot” (APDS) round. The outer holder of the projectile comes away on leaving the barrel, allowing the inner steel penetrator to reach a higher velocity. Sorry cannot help on the colours or rarity. What is the headstamp of this shell?

I was very surprised when I saw this round, because I didn’t know they already used that during WWII

I’m not sure when the APDS concept was first introduced, large calibre ammo is a bit out of my field.

It is a beauty 4 sure! I think large caliber DS have been used for a very long time, possibly starting with cannon shells? I have seen this same projectile design in a 20 pounder also from the same era. I think it was 105MM and British? I have never seen one with its original paint like yours in such good condition. VERY NICE.

The APDS was developed in Britain by Permutter and Coppock in 1941-43 and was first introduced for the 6pdr anti-tank gun in 1943.
(Ian V. Hogg)
Beside the 57mm 6pdr APDS Britain had the 76mm 17pdr APDS in WWII .
The 84mm 20pdr was post war.
The APDS shown here has his original case wich is different from other types of projectiles because it has the crimp very close to the casemouth.

[quote=“Western”]The APDS was developed in Britain by Permutter and Coppock in 1941-43 and was first introduced for the 6pdr anti-tank gun in 1943.
(Ian V. Hogg)
Beside the 57mm 6pdr APDS Britain had the 76mm 17pdr APDS in WWII .
The 84mm 20pdr was post war.
The APDS shown here has his original case wich is different from other types of projectiles because it has the crimp very close to the casemouth.[/quote]

Thanks.
But what about the colored strips ??
And is it scarce ??
JP

Jp,
I don’t know what the meaning is of these colored strips.
I think the round you have is pretty scare. Found one for sale on the internet for 585 dollar,most likely not as beautiful as yours.

[quote=“Western”]Jp,
I don’t know what the meaning is of these colored strips.
I think the round you have is pretty scare. Found one for sale on the internet for 585 dollar,most likely not as beautiful as yours.[/quote]

Thanks !
Good news ! I wil sell it and with the money buy a lot of shotshells ! lol !
Thanks
JP

While saboted projectiles go back to the early days of cannon, the modern APDS concept was initiated in France just before WW2 (by Brandt), was then transferred to Canada for further work, before being picked up by the UK and developed to production standard.

It was never very common in WW2, being expensive to make (tungsten was very valuable) and although it could dramatically increase penetration in the right circumstances, the early versions were less accurate.

APDS did not finally displace APCBC in the British Army until the introduction of the 105mm L7 gun in 1956.