Biggest pinfire?

Hi,

A while ago I had a topic about 4 ga pinfire shells.
I was just thinking, are there any bigger gauges made in pinfire shells?

Personally I have never heard of them, but who am I.

Regards rené

[quote=“polman”]Hi,

I was just thinking, are there any bigger gauges made in pinfire shells?

Regards rené[/quote]

32 mm for example

jp

P.S. This is not a real cartridge. Someone, sometime, made it.

At least SFM made a 32mm shotshell for punt guns. Tardy Frères has a 30mm shotshell as well.

Aaron, is there any info on the maker of the 31mm (hs) and about the gun it was used with? Purpose?

ha…well, as mentioned under the images, “This is not a real cartridge. Someone, sometime, made it.”

It is just a big paper weight. As for the headstamp, some believe it is a rooster defecating, others think it is merely tool marks.

Here is a bad picture of the 32mm shotshell:

ha…well, as mentioned under the images, “This is not a real cartridge. Someone, sometime, made it.”

It is just a big paper weight. As for the headstamp, some believe it is a rooster defecating, others think it is merely tool marks.[/quote]

Thank you for the clarification as the “no real cartridge” left some room for interpretation (well, or the fantasy of us…).

I think it would take a sick mind to interpret those markings as a defecating rooster. Sounds like something I would come up with. : - )

Hi Everybody,

THanks for the input!!

I should have known about the 32mm, but didn’t.

Aaron, thanks for the picture!

Regards rené

I don’t know the 30 mm shotshell from Tardy.
Any info ?
thanks
jp

[quote=“Aaron”]Here is a bad picture of the 32mm shotshell:

[/quote]

Nice board !

Where is it located ? in France ??

jp

René, besides the 30 and 32 mm cartridges by Tardy, Gévelot and SFM, there is also a British 2 bore cartridge made for a Chas. Osborne punt gun, but I have never seen an example. Years ago I obtained a 32 mm cartridge that was taken from a broken SFM board, which also included other rarities like the 8 mm “Petit” Gras and 10,15 mm Mauser-Koka. Regards, Fede.

Hi Fede,

That 2 bore cartridge you are talking about, is it also a pinfire?
I have heard of 2 bore centrefire before.

Good for you that the board was broken!
It is a great opportunity to get such items.

Regards rené

René, yes, it is a 2 bore pinfire monstrosity. The board was one of those unframed cheap models made of cardboard and was in terrible condition; there was nothing I can do but take out the cartridges and discard it. Regards, Fede.

I forgot about that guy!

Aaron, yes, that’s the gun. In spite of its markings and what the book says, it was not made by Chas. Osborne but by Tolley, and this is their typical design with a recoil absorber device. Also, its caliber is mentioned in some sources as 2 gauge and in others a No. 2, which is a different and smaller caliber. On the other hand, the pinfire punt guns by this manufacturer are listed in their catalogs as made with bores of 1 1/8", 1 1/4" and 1 1/2". For this reason, I’m not sure which is the exact caliber of the gun in the picture.

Aaron,
I have asked you two questions but you have not seen them.
Here there are again.

1. you said, and Fede confirmed, that Tardy has made a 30 mm pinfire shotshell.
    Any picture ? Any document ?
    If not, where is this info coming from ?

2. You put a picture of a nice Gevelot board.
    If it is not yours, where is this picture coming from ?
    France ? Spain ?

Thanks
JP

JP,

The board is in the US, owned by an IAA member. I hope to buy it some day. =)

I know someone who has the 30mm Tardy Frères one. I will try to get pictures.

[quote=“Aaron”]JP,

The board is in the US, owned by an IAA member. I hope to buy it some day. =)

I know someone who has the 30mm Tardy Frères one. I will try to get pictures.[/quote]

Hello,

There is (or was) a Gevelot board in France. I will try to compare it with the one you show. Anyway it is very scarce. And interesting !!

I knew there was a 30 mm Tardy puntgun shell but I thought it was CF and not PF.

Thanks.
JP