Biggest pinfire?

Here is the 32 mm pinfire by SFM:

Nice pinfire Fede! Is the head aluminum?

-Dave

Hi Dave, it’s nickeled brass. Also, the lower part of the tube is copper lined in the inside. Regards, Fede.

Thank you for the explanation Fede!
I wish it was I, who was holding that cartridge! Lol.

-Dave

Hi Fede,

I know I am playing catch up with this post.
Did you ever get anything on the 2 bore pinfire or are we classing the 32 mm as the 2 bore? I am just trying to get my head round this as a 2 bore centre fire measures different to the 32 mm pinfire.

Also did anybody have any pictures of the 30 mm Tardy pinfire?

Thanks,
Mike.

Quite a bit of size difference between a 32mm and 2GA. Sorry they are not pinfires.

Some 4GA next to a 32mm.

[quote]Hi Fede,

I know I am playing catch up with this post.
Did you ever get anything on the 2 bore pinfire or are we classing the 32 mm as the 2 bore? I am just trying to get my head round this as a 2 bore centre fire measures different to the 32 mm pinfire.[/quote]

Mike, all I know is that this British punt gun model using a pinfire cartridge was made in three different bore sizes: 1 1/8" (28.5 mm), 1 1/4" (31,7 mm) and 1 1/2" (38.1 mm). We would need to know the measurements of the chamber to find out which cartridge may have been used. Regards, Fede.

Mike,

As Fede said, do not mixed up:

32 mm (French or Italian) : ctge neck diameter = 34.6 mm, ctge inside diameter = 31.6 mm (32 mm for very old ctges)
N°2 Holland Holland (with either HH or Eley hstp) : ctge neck diameter = 28.3 mm; ctge inside diameter = 26.2 mm
N°2 Rem-Umc : ctge neck diameter = 43.6 mm; ctge inside diameter = 41.2 mm

They are not 2 bore shells (Theoretical bore diameter = 33.7)

The only reference I have for 2 bore is Kynoch for 1882 to 1889 and Thomas Bland in 1882.
I don’t have any more info (dimensions of the shells)

JP

JP,

Yes I realise that, that is why I am asking the question to try and put my mind at rest.

Thanks very helpful and useful, I am doing some reports at the moment which I must finish but this afternoon I will get the 2 bores out of the draws in the gunroom and get some measurements but what you have said is not what I remember from the last ones I machined but I am going purely on memory and it must be 20 + years since I made any and I only ever made a few. I will get back this afternoon or this evening with some measured dimension (and I may have to eat my words).

I will have the (mine) manufacturing drawings somewhere (in the garage at a guess) but that could take weeks to find, if I ever did.

It is about time we put all this information properly together because after an 8 bore it is all kidology anyway, everything is marked as bigger than it was and I am talking about bore (gauge) sizes.

Many thanks for the info.

Krag56,

Great pictures by the way, thanks for sharing.

Mike.

Ok, here is the cartridge I have just measured and the sizes taken from it (didn’t go and get mic’s from the garage used a standard 6" vernier)

Mike.

It is a loaded cartridge and it is a small RTO so very hard to give an inside diameter. The brass head is 0.825" (21 mm) from the base and the cardboard tube is very parallel at that dimension.

[quote=“Eightbore”]Ok, here is the cartridge I have just measured and the sizes taken from it (didn’t go and get mic’s from the garage used a standard 6" vernier)

Mike.

It is a loaded cartridge and it is a small RTO so very hard to give an inside diameter. The brass head is 0.825" (21 mm) from the base and the cardboard tube is very parallel at that dimension.[/quote]

yes it is that
you made an error (1.120 is not 38.44 but 28.44 mm)

And there is also an error in the data I put (two different lines were mixed)

Here are the good dimensions:

32 mm (French or Italian) : ctge neck diameter = 34.6 mm, ctge inside diameter = 31.6 mm (32 mm for very old ctges)
N°2 Holland Holland (with either HH or Eley hstp) : ctge neck diameter = 28.3 mm; ctge inside diameter = 26.2 mm
N°2 Rem-Umc : ctge neck diameter = 43.6 mm; ctge inside diameter = 41.2 mm

jp

JP,

Yes your right, I did a typo so it is corrected now, thanks.

Mike.

Mike,

Have you any info (dimensions) on the 2 bore is Kynoch from 1882 to 1889 ?

The only things I know are :
they can be either in solid brass or paper and are 6 and 8 inches long

jp

JP,

I need to answer this carefully, I have copies of the 1882 book and the 1884 catalogue (the book I can not get to at the moment) but the catalogue does not list a 2 bore cartridge in pinfire, brass or paper it only lists 1 1/2", 1 1/4" & 1 1/8" brass puntgun cartridges all of which are 6" long, I have copies of these cases with basic dimensions.
I also have notes that say:- The first catalogue dated January 1882 lists only brass solid drawn cases in 1 1/8", 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" all 6" in length, next we have Kynoch’s price list of June 1882 and it has both solid brass and paper cases in 6 and 8 inch long in 1", 1 1/8", 1 1/4", 1 1/2" and 2" this stays the same until 1905 price list on which it just states paper or brass on request.
I have copies of the 1901-2 and 1902-3 Catalogues and can find no mention of puntgun cases (unless I am having a senior moment) the biggest listed is 4 bore.
I will do a picture of the ones above and add to this post later today.

I don’t know if that is of any help.

Mike.

JP.

As promised.

Sorry it has to be pictures as it is far to big to scan. They speak for themselves but I have done the CF & PF (just one of the pages) the Brass and the Puntgun pages, sorry about the flash bounce.

Any help?
Mike.

[quote=“Eightbore”]JP,

I also have notes that say:- The first catalogue dated January 1882 lists only brass solid drawn cases in 1 1/8", 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" all 6" in length, next we have Kynoch’s price list of June 1882 and it has both solid brass and paper cases in 6 and 8 inch long in 1", 1 1/8", 1 1/4", 1 1/2" and 2" this stays the same until 1905 price list on which it just states paper or brass on request.

I don’t know if that is of any help.

Mike.[/quote]

hello Mike,
Yes, I agree. They are on price lists but not on catalogues.
Which page of 1905 are they mentionned ?

Thanks
JP

Jean-Pierre,

I am sorry I don’t know the page, all I have for this information is notes or scans etc., this information is from other people or articles I have read and kept the useful stuff from.

Mike.