Bill Woodin’s Laboratory in pictures II

8 Likes

I think a second thread is a good idea.
Zac

6 Likes

Jeff, thanks! Speaking of the true stuff, how about images of the grenades? And did you document the DU items before they went down the l… ?

Simple questions, not so simple answers. The DU was only documented in a general manner. Unfortunately, many of the DU pieces were cutaways. The oxidation varied with the alloy, but the level of dust was considerable in most of the affected drawers. Cross-contamination was a concern and took priority.

Over the years I’ve also found that documenting these events while you are in the middle - or leading - the operation can be very problematic. Priority has to be on the operation and safety. I knew going in to the cleanup that we wanted to try and take pictures and I’m pretty pleased with what we got, but we missed a lot. As it was we (myself, my son, Frank Lance and Mel) did a week of 15 hour days, plus two days of driving over 15 hours each day. Looking back, the fact that we found time to take any pictures at all is surprising.

In regard to the grenades, previously I had only general pictures of the grenades up on the bookcase. I took detailed pictures only of the Japanese pieces. When we did the cleanup the grenades had been removed by the auction house prior and were not present. A couple of months later however, I was contacted by Morphy’s Auction house. They had been given my name by someone else and were searching for someone to provide assistance with a group of grenades that they had on consignment. Both of us were surprised to realize that these were from the same collection.
I did a quick photo record of all the items at that time, three of the grenades were removed for destruction and turned over to PA State police Bomb Squad. Again, I’ll try and get to those files eventually.

Alex, I think you know better than many, I’ve been taking pictures of ordnance and sites for over 40 years. My digital files are not perfect and are under reorganization trying to prevent a similar situation as what we have at Bill’s. I’ve got over 160K digital photo files of ordnance, plus dozens of binders filled with pages of my negatives and slides from the pre-digital days. And of course I’m still adding pictures, new Xrays, etc. I don’t mind sharing most of it, but finding it takes time, as does prepping it for posting. In the meantime other subjects come up, distractions, work, etc. and I don’t always get back to the subject. Best intentions, but…

I’ll try and dig out some of the cleanup pictures later, right now I’m still on 2014 files.

1 Like

5 Likes

Jeff no hurry!
I may have less than you but all I do is digital and I know exactly how difficult it is to locate something when needed. In particular when speaking about trying to ID something that I knew was somewhere in my docs - but where???

So take your time.

Although I have absolutely nothing with non shotshell ammunition, I really love this topic.

BUT is there any chance that someone took pictures of shotshells while being there?

1 Like

That’s a great question. Did Bill collect military shotshells?

Don’t know,
But I thought someone said he had cabinets with shotshells.

1 Like

hello
there are a picture of shotshells but it the silenced ones ,not the “ordinary” ones
but i think would be existed beautiful experimental ones
i love all plastic but very difficult to find these

Bill definately collected military and police 12GA and thelike.

Sadly the only image of shotgun rounds that I took on a visit in 2012.

2 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

RJB,

These last pictures are from the better days, when the lab was cleaner and neater. Thanks for posting them.

John Moss

He had a huge variety of experimental flechette and scimitar loaded rounds.

3 Likes

3 Likes

5 Likes

What is the caliber of that Ranken dart?