Birds are ammunition

christies.com/features/singi … 422-3.aspx

Actually chickens, both fresh and frozen, are routinely shot into jet engines for testing turbine blade strength against possible bird damage during flight.

Not to forget the Russian incendiary pigeons in WWII. We discussed it here before I think.

Nice and interesting but 2.5 to 5 millions $ for the pair is a bit too much for my pockets…

During WW2 the US developed incendiary BATS which worked just fine but were produced too late in the war to be deployed.

That has to be a little known fact. I hope that there are no animal rights folks who read this blog.

I would like to see the device which throws these chickens.

During WW2 the US developed incendiary BATS which worked just fine but were produced too late in the war to be deployed.[/quote]

To my knowledge the project was cancelled after bats escaped at a US airbase (testing those) and caused a fire disaster.

That did happen but the project went on and the war ended before tactical development. There is a book on the subject if anyone is interested. Can you refer me to the pigeon post ?

[quote=“DrSchmittCSAEOD”]

I would like to see the device which throws these chickens.[/quote]

Here’s a video of this kind of testing, showing the gun:

youtube.com/watch?v=4nAc7wab-l4

It was in the old forum somewhere. Wish I knew where.

This is a video of a bird strike simulation on a jet engine. I’d like to see “Frozen Bird Projectile” stenciled on this ammunition. Talk about special purpose. :-)

Jason
PS: Those bird pistols on Cristy’s are amazing.

youtube.com/watch?v=nWTb0QRI … re=related

[quote=“psg1”][quote=“DrSchmittCSAEOD”]

I would like to see the device which throws these chickens.[/quote]

Here’s a video of this kind of testing, showing the gun:

youtube.com/watch?v=4nAc7wab-l4[/quote]

Thanks.

Hard to tell the caliber of these things.

I was going to start an “ANIMALS ARE AMMUNITION” thread with the bodies of dead animals being thrown by catapult bu thought that might be over the line for a lot of folks here who don’t want to see artillery ammo, grenades , mines , bombs , torpedoes as ammo.

Glad you did.

Maybe you could change the name and solicit other animals info like Soviet exploding antitank dogs and others.

Sad To say but “CHILDREN ARE AMMUNITION” in modern war.

John, the old forum post was mine and was called “dogs are ammo” viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3590&p=23702&hilit=dogs#p23702

Thank you. It is a shame that so many of the photos have been lost from the old forum.

Its not only jet engines that recieve the chicken treatment, windshields get it too. there was a catapault at Cranfield in the UK that was used to launch chickens at windshields. I don’t know if its still in operation. Bird hits do bring down planes. thats a fact.

There are also air guns which launch various items, such as boards and timbers, against structures at high velocities to simulate tornado-driven debris damage.