Blanks or Gallery round

I know the BPD is Italien but what is it a blank or a granade loading??
The other one is German first war is this a gallery loading??
Sherryl

1 Like

In your german one, the bullet is set upside down and you see the bullet maker DM in the base of the bullet.
Take it out with a bullet puller…and voila, you will see the complete bullet :-))
Peter

Forensic
I really had to laugh hard seeing your reply,tell you why I had 3 of those like that,that is why what
you suggested never occured to me.Besides I have another hang up I do not pull bullets except
in very rare situations,but I may do it in this case now however at the moment I do not know what
to think!!
Sherryl

1 Like

Peter,
Do you think this reversed bullet may be an original WWI sample? When the Germans were trying to defeat British tanks?

with the casemouth that wide throated, it will not even fit the rifles chamber anymore.Its much to far in…check the pic from sherryl…
Some people collectors stuck loose bullets in that way, so they cannot loose it…
Mr. Peelen described ones here, that on some teststations the effect of reverses bullets was tested…
But the bullets cannot be that deep in the cartridge, as they surely would create a high overpressure, if the bullet is set flush with the casemouth…

But some people at the front used reversed bullets to inflict bigger wounding effects, but not the germans only…
Peter

Vladimir+ Forensic!!
I am very honest it had never occured to me that,these bullets could have been put into these
cases ab side down because I had 3 of those at one time.Of course both of you could be right
in your assumptions of what was done on battle fields anything goes in these moments of
to be or not to be.No Forensic the cartridge fits into a rifle chamber.But I will pull that bullet
today,Things really got the better of me now.
Sherryl

I often pull bullets from duplicates to look at the base of the bullets for markings, if I suspect they might have them. Mine are most 9 mm Para that I do this with. WWI German and British seem to be the most common with base markings. If they have them, I reverse the bullet in the case and they are kept in a separate row of “bullet base marked” cartridges.

I think that is much more often the case, than any “battlefield conversion.”

John Moss

1 Like

Thank you for your note John,I understand your reasoning nothing wrong with it.I tell you another
reason why I did not become suspicious was the neat DM on the bottem of that bullet few have
such neat markings if any.
Sherryl

Forensic
Yes you had it right,the bullet was stuck in there up side down,well live and learn
well as I mentioned to John Moss that neat DM on the bottom of all 3 bullets did
remove a lot of suspicion
Sherryl

Sherryl - Whether or not “few have such neat markings if any” is dependent on your parameters. I can only speak to 9 mm Para (in most cases), and to Kynoch and German WWI rounds. I don’t have enough interest to spend the time to pull the bullets from hundreds of dupes looking for bullet-base markings, but in the mentioned instances, for example, it seems that most German 9 mm rounds from the WWI era and perhaps before have bullet-base markings. Unfortunately, I cannot read what my wife used to call "German Bible Writing,: but I can report what the headstamps of German cartridges that I disassembled had base markings, all German, with those markings if I can positive read them:

C 4 17 ( C )
6 16 D. (an odd character looking like a “P” with exaggerated serifs. I may have it upside-down!)
1 17 D. (Same character as above)
BESCHUSS 1917 (made by DWM - 278 G which is DWM’s catalog number for this bullet)
DWM K 10 18 (sane as abive)
DWN K 8 10 (278 F)
DWM K 8 14 (DM)
K DWM K 480C (278G)
2 G 17 D (Ge - large letters)
10 Ge, 17 D, (Ge - smaller letters)
H 12 17 (K - p;ossibly denoting Karsruhe, but just a guess. I doudt it is Kynoch, England, who often used a “K” on 9 mm bullet bases)
RM S 11 18 (Marking hard to tell - could be a very small square, or even a small letter “D” which could stand for “Dusseldorf”)
S 10 18 (U)
S 7 17 (clearly stamped but don’t know the letter. It could be an “M” or a “W”, but it is from the old alphabet)
UN 6 18 (Probably a small “U”)

Again, just examples, indicating more than just DWM marked their bullets during WWI and in the case of DWM at least, before.

I would not call this an unusual practice for Germany in that era.

John Moss

Thank you John I must admit that is some impressive list,I will take note of it
Problem is I have quite a few of the old ones but I do not want to pull the
bullets,however I try to restrict my 9mm fromm about 1909 to about 1960
after that I shoot them.Sherryl

I don’t want to comment originality of these cartridges.
But I can show some, who were digging out on a WW1archaeological side in Europe.

reversedbullet

Please look at 34,50 Min

Rgds

Reversed bullet cartridges are mentioned several times in reports from WW1. Below you can see different examples from Germany and Russia:

g2

r1

Dutch
Thank you very much for sending this video I enjoyed it tremendously and on top it told me
what I wanted to know
Thanks Again
Sherryl

Fede
Thank you for the pics, there is only one word incredible,These pics are more than
convincing,needless to say this thing left me speechless.
Sherryl