Blocking Signatures

I think they are called “signatures”. Down at the bottom of a post where the user can add all kinds of stuff that he thinks everyone should see.

Anyway, whatever they are called, how do I go about blocking them?? I think it says I can use the UCP, but I’ll be danged if I can navigate to the correct box to check “no”

Ray

Ray,
Try this.

Click:
Control Panal-top left
At Left side panel select:
Board Preferences
Edit Display Option

In the square in the center will be
Display signatures: Set this to No

Should work!

Lew

Thanks Lew. That worked.

Just so no one gets their shorts bunched up over this - I have no problem with signatures that show the kind of cartridges a guy collects, where he’s from, his military service, etc. I don’t like the ones that have a gihugic photo of their favorite rifle or pickup truck and, even worse, those that are animated with a scene from a movie or TV.

IAA forum members are very conservative when it comes to signatures. I do visit other forums where it’s hard to find the post when there are 2 or 3 pages of signatures.

Ray

Can’t the admins just disable images etc. in the board settings?

EOD
On this forum, it’s not a problem (at least for me)
On another forum, that Ray and I both visit, there will often be 7-8 large photo’s in one guys signature block. Multiply that by the 40-50 posters that have similar signatures, and the 150-260 that “only” have 1-4 large photo’s in theirs…

I really hate it when a board’s software includes .sig files in the search results. On firearm boards, there is a tendency for some users to use their .sig file for an extended inventory list, or worst, a wish list. A search for Brand X’s Model Y then pulls up every single post where that model appears in an user’s .sig file.

Some board software limits the appearance of a user’s .sig file to the user’s first post to a thread.

TO ALL COMMENATORS

THESE SIGNATURE BLOCKS ALLOW USERS TO SAY, “LOOK AT ME! AIN’T I GREAT!” I REALLY DON’T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THEM AS LONG AS THEY ARE NOT OVERBOARD. I’VE NOT OBSERVED ANY ON OUR FORUM THAT I FIND ARE NOT RATHER CONSERVATIVE. THE ONLY ONE I HAVE OBSERVED WITH AN IMAGE IS THAT OF DKConfiguration AND I THINK IT’S INTERESTING WITH THE SECTIONED CARTRIDGE. I THINK WE NEED TO ADDRESS CREATING AND POSTING MORE TOPICS FOR COMMENT BY OTHER COLLECTORS. I PERSONALLY DON’T HAVE A SIGNATURE BLOCK AND I’M NOT THINKING ABOUT HAVING ONE IN THE FUTURE.

There are a few people who have a headstamp, or image of a cartridge or whatnot in the signautre space like I do. I have only seen one very infrequent user who has a .GIF file image in his signature which acts as a short video loop. As far as internet forums go, we are one of the most tame / square open-to-the-public forums I have ever seen, which is a good thing.

When I asked how to block signatures, I certainly did not expect the thread to go beyond one or two replies. It seems that I may have touched a nerve for some, something I didn’t intend to do.

Signatures on the IAA Forum are nowhere near a problem as they are on some of the other forums I visit, although that one with the video loop is especially annoying. But, I had decided to block all of them, and since the steps are different on the different forums, I asked.

One thing I noticed just last week - it seems that some forum members (not IAA) have found a way to bypass the blocking. On most UCPs you have the option to block signatures, avatars, and photographs. You don’t want to block photographs because they are a big part of why we visit forums. But now, some of the trolls have figured out that they can simply add their junk to the thread by inserting it as a photograph. I guess there is no way to keep ahaed of them.

Ray