Bomb pictures you may not have seen before

I took these general shots when I was doing some research in 2007 on Japanese ordnance. I thought you might enjoy some of the background items.

6 Likes

Looks like an interesting place to see. Is it private, or gouvernment owned?

1 Like

I am guessing Wright-patterson air base/museum judging by some of the aircraft in the background.

Is that a UFO in the second photo from the bottom? Area 51 maybe? :)

2 Likes

Is that a Little Boy dummy in the last photo? The antenna looks very much like it.

The japanese bombs are incredible! Never saw so many in one image and one location!!!
Do you have detail images of these maybe?

They seem not to have this one (paint job here is entirely wrong).
70 kg navy bomb with long delay anti withdrawal fuze.

2 Likes

Storage area for the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.

1 Like

Largest collection of Japanese bombs left in the world, I spent years looking in every possible location from the Solomons to the Japanese EOD school, The Australian War Memorial to the Chinese Military Museum, they were here at home all along (38 of them).

2 Likes

Sounds great! Maybe more images you can show?

Do you happen to have an image of the yellow one I posted but with the original color and markings?

1 Like

Winners take it all.

Nothing wrong with that!
Seeing what had happened in Germany after 1945 anything that would have been left here would be gone today !!!
And Japan seems not to be much better in this regard.

And do not forget that we still have military-run musuems in Germany which have the standing order to DESTROY all duplicates!!!
No matter if a 100 year old extremely scarce wepaon, cartridge, spare part set, radio or what so ever.
ALL MUST BE DESTROYED and it IS BEING DONE !!!
This of course supports the political agenda of keeping arms away from the population so it does not develop an interest in it at all and turn “military museums” into “anti war museums” like it happened recently in Dresden.

3 Likes

Alex, do not misunderstand me. I -regret- America won both WW. All those -objects- so far away…

D-O-BMB-JPN-043 D-O-BMB-JPN-044 ![DSC_0018|523x787]

(upload://jILVMnXvajzTYgQ0wKTUkynYCSX.jpeg)

2 Likes

Great images!
Can you ID the items?

Second last picture. Is that an official USAF mattress?

Ran across a few more images while sorting.

1 Like