Bombtruck (not EOD truck) in Los Angeles blew up

2 Likes

Jess,

I am guessing that was not ten pounds of sparklers and party poppers they set off…

It will be interesting to see just what went wrong and what the energetic material was.

Dave

1 Like

Wow, that is a horrible accident.

At this point, a very minor point of semantics, but that could be referred to as an “LAPD Truck,” “Bomb Disposal Truck” used by the reporter or “Bomb Squad Truck” also in the broadcast. But technically NOT an EOD truck, a term normailly reserved for use with military units/equipment. The civilian equivalent in addition to the examples above, includes “Hazardous Devices” or in the right cases, “Unexploded Ordnance” rather than EOD.

I may be taking a Monday Morning Cheap Shot here, but the process was poor from an explosives safety standpoint: Poor evacuation, poor forklift discipline, and not following the “cardinal rule” of explosives safety to expose the minimum number of people to the minimum amount of explosives for the minimum time.

Our prayers should be with the survivors, families of the casualties, etc.

2 Likes

I agree. I don’t know why they didn’t move the truck to a more wide open area before doing the shot. After all, they had moved the items into the containment vessel, so anti-handling wasn’t an issue.

1 Like

9 wounded… They were very, very, very lucky in LA… May 13, 2000 (not that long ago), Enschede Holland, neighbourhood Roombeek, was blown away… DPG Media Privacy Gate

2 Likes

Topic updated

Paraphrasing from somewhere else, it wasn’t the fireworks but an IED.

10lbs of boom in a 18lb rated “boom bottle” that failed catastrophically. It wasn’t the fireworks that blew up but an “IED”

1 Like

Enschede started as a fire, attracting a lot of spectators. When developing into two mass explosions, 23 people were killed.
The disquieting fact in Los Angeles in my view is the explosion apparently occuring “out of the blue”.

1 Like

From the below photos (source: LAPD website) you can see how the containment vessel is constructed with what appears to be LH/RH screw driven collars that hold the hatch in place. There looks like a switch at the bottom to indicate the collars are closed and in a video from a helicopter it looks like the collars are just about together when they intentionally set off the contents. They are reporting the hatch landed two blocks from the explosion. Truly amazing no one was killed.
LAPD BS Truck 2
LAPD BS Truck

Dave

1 Like

Lots of spectators.

ETA: Also some pictures/video of them loading large Home Depot boxes worth of stuff into it. Probably way more than 10lbs.

1 Like

Huh? She said 5,000 pounds of illegal fireworks, commercial grade, several times.
Where was the other 4, 990 pounds of “illegal fireworks”?
She also said some “home made fireworks, like really big M80s”!
Sounds like more than a few sticks of Dynamite maybe?

3 Likes

On one of my Pyro forums, it was said that LA was holding their first illegal firework buy back program and you would receive a free gift for compensation. Ouch!

1 Like

So, “… Through sponsorship from the Los Angeles Dodgers, Food 4 Less, Target and NBC Universal, the city will compensate participants with tickets and gifts”, mean there is no actual “buy-back”? That sucks.
“Here is a gift certificate for $25 in exchange for your $200 of fireworks.”

2 Likes

Which is criminal to possess in this location and you knew that when you brought it in.

3 Likes

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

Detonation in a residential area. Hey why not?

Once you start to involve IEDs the rules change and there are a number of considerations. Safety of movement, safety of disposal, what materials are involved etc. I haven’t seen any factual reports of what was identified or other details, but one question that is not out of the realm of possibility is what do you have, its condition and is it possible to transport safely? Would it be safer to attempt disposal here, where we have some small control of the area, or depending in the level of concern, take the chance that an event could occur at any point during transport. This being said, until the report comes out on what actually was planned/attempted and what actually occurred, it is all guesswork and has little if any basis in fact.

1 Like

It seems that a miscalculation was made regarding the amount of explosives that were detonated in the containment vessel. They are estimating that the amount was over 42 pounds rather than 16.5 pounds.

Dave