Box of 'bits' from a fair

Good morning to all,
one of my favourite things with this hobby is to find a box of mixed up ‘stuff’ for sale at fairs.
Picked one up at a local millitaria fair a couple of days ago for a whole fiver, I must admit most of it went in the scrap bin when I got home but there was some interesting ‘stuff’ in there too.
1, 4.2" mortar ballistite cartridge, 3, 3" mortar ballistite cartridges, one of which has never been loaded, a Brock 12 bore Mk IIa bird scarer cartridge, a No2 Mk 1 12 bore bird scarer cartridge, a Jarmann harpoon gun cartridge, a Mk III 1941 dated Greener shotgun cartridge and a Dutch 6.5mm ball round with a charger clip.
Now, none of the above is in my collecting field but I have a question about two of them if anyone can help, first the 3" mortar cartridge with the hand written charge details, is this normal or trials/experimental?, second is does the Dutch 6.5mm brass copperwashed case signify anything?, headstamp, clockwise from 12 o’clock, 28F 3A AI 39, black annulus.

Tony

2 Likes

Tony,

Shells all look in good clean condition.
Yes it is not usual to see handwritten notes on the mortar cartridge - probably a trial ?
The Mk.3 Greener shotshell is a special load for the Greener police gun. not intended to chamber in a normal gun.

Jim

Thanks Jim,
yes I’m impressed with the effort they have taken to ensure that it can’t be used in a normal shotgun, especially the ‘trident’ style of firing pin with the shorter middle pin

Tony

It is possible that the handwritten info on the mortar cartridge was just copied from a carton it came in for a collector (or someone) to recall what it is. I am skeptical about being a trials piece, but nothing other than skepticism to support it.

Slight confucion: What is the “{Roman numeral I} I.C.I” round?
Thanks.

Not so sure about that, the writting is under the shiney (lacquer?) finish of the card case, to my mind that would mean the writting would have been applied during manufacture?

As far as I know it is another 3" mortar ballistite cartridge, but as I said in my original post I don’t collect this sort of stuff and my knowledge of them is scant to say the least.

1 Like

The low brass primary is a Mk1 70gr NC(Y) load.
There is also a long brass version marked 1.SMOKELESS ICI (possibly 90 gr).

2 Likes

Thank you ron3350

Tony

1 Like

I have this box photo on file but forget where this reference came from.

Mk1 3"M

1 Like

Thank you very much ron3350

Tony