BRANDT factory display

aa

Well, I can confirm that this is a beautiful and genuine BRANDT factory display!
The FrenchEtablissements Edgar Brandt took a patent for it around 1938-39, as far as I remember. I had such a sample coming direct from the factory when they closed thei rParisian Suburb facility, and merged with THOMSON, to be called THOMSON-BRANDT…, later Thomson only.

At this time, there was a strong nucleus of leftist syndicates in the place and they forbade to say a word about the name of Edgar Brandt, who had been a fierce anti-communist boss, its company being much involved with the Germans during the Vichy years. This stupid guys even destroyed 13 metric tons of archives, pictures and specimens when they closed the place. People wishing to save only a small part were threatened to be fired!
Such was the life in France before De Gaulle came back in 1958!!!

The shell should have been produced in 1940-41 as an "energizer "for the 75 mm cannon round, but the Wehrmacht was quicker… It was the first kind of discarding sabot projectile built, the sabot was usually parted in 3 segments; held together by …automobile steel piston rings, which broke outside the barrel mouth when the shell began its rotation in the air.
Anyway, abeautiful display and a scarce specimen…My congratulations!

PR

Well that was some great information. It’s a good thing thier is no “Insider Trading” restrictions for us cartridge collectors :-) That info was awesome for such a rare set of DS artifacts.

[quote=“Philippe Regenstreif”]Well, I can confirm that this is a beautiful and genuine BRANDT factory display!
The FrenchEtablissements Edgar Brandt took a patent for it around 1938-39, as far as I remember. I had such a sample coming direct from the factory when they closed thei rParisian Suburb facility, and merged with THOMSON, to be called THOMSON-BRANDT…, later Thomson only.

At this time, there was a strong nucleus of leftist syndicates in the place and they forbade to say a word about the name of Edgar Brandt, who had been a fierce anti-communist boss, its company being much involved with the Germans during the Vichy years. This stupid guys even destroyed 13 metric tons of archives, pictures and specimens when they closed the place. People wishing to save only a small part were threatened to be fired!
Such was the life in France before De Gaulle came back in 1958!!!

The shell should have been produced in 1940-41 as an "energizer "for the 75 mm cannon round, but the Wehrmacht was quicker… It was the first kind of discarding sabot projectile built, the sabot was usually parted in 3 segments; held together by …automobile steel piston rings, which broke outside the barrel mouth when the shell began its rotation in the air.
Anyway, abeautiful display and a scarce specimen…My congratulations!

PR[/quote]

EXCELLENT AND THANK YOU. What is an “energizer”? Which case would you say this is made for ? THERE IS NO RESTRAINING REVISIONIST HISTORY. There is an excellent example in the movie " Schindler’s list" where the SS is sorting out the Jewish population for “essential” workers. A history teacher steps up and is told that he is un-needed. He says " what can be more essential than a history teacher?". All lost of the SS as with all evil men. For these folks ,only their point of view of the world now or gone by is “essential”. The teacher was advised to pretend to be a shoemaker by others in the crowd. Even the evil need shoes.

I have had several of the German DS experimentals come my way over the years. I plan to do a post on DS ammo and will show those there.

THIS SET IS AVAILABLE IF SOME FRENCH COLLECTOR CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT IT.

Bought at a gun show in Baltimore Md. in about 1979.

They look in great condition. I am sure their cant be many of them around anymore. Really facinating.

Hi!

What I meant for “energizer” is just the fact that these shells would have far better characteristics on target, than the classical ones…

I think that the realization of this kind of projectile in 7,5 calibre is, for a part, due to the fact that the Germans had seized a good number of the Mle 1897 French guns as war booty, and modernized them in order to make a stop gap antitank gun on the Eastern Front, the original French being a field artillery one. They succeeded in modifying the barrel with a mouth brake and putting the old iron on Pak 38 and Pak 40 carriages , which made the 7,5 cm Pak 97/38 (fr) in 1941.

Obviously, a Hi-Perforating shell could have been even better, but I think that the whole story did not work so far.

PR

[quote=“Philippe Regenstreif”]Hi!

What I meant for “energizer” is just the fact that these shells would have far better characteristics on target, than the classical ones…

I think that the realization of this kind of projectile in 7,5 calibre is, for a part, due to the fact that the Germans had seized a good number of the Mle 1897 French guns as war booty, and modernized them in order to make a stop gap antitank gun on the Eastern Front, the original French being a field artillery one. They succeeded in modifying the barrel with a mouth brake and putting the old iron on Pak 38 and Pak 40 carriages , which made the 7,5 cm Pak 97/38 (fr) in 1941.

Obviously, a Hi-Perforating shell could have been even better, but I think that the whole story did not work so far.

PR[/quote]

WHICH 37MM CASE WOULD YOU SUGGEST THIS WAS DESIGNED FOR ?