Brass 10 Gauge NPE

Hi everybody! I just acquired a very nice brass NPE in 10 gauge. It is 2-7/8" and has the following headstamp: ‘USE BERDAN PRIMER No. 1’ and ‘10A’. There is a raised ring around the primer. Any idea who made it? Thanks!

I’m away from my references and only have my laptop but I picked up a couple of Winchester (WRA) 10 ga brass shells lately with the raised area in the center (around the primer). Brass shells aren’t my area but I’ve seen a few… and none were as you describe. It may be that WRA made them for someone else.
Hopefully Pete can shed some light. He’s handled quite a few.

We had a pair (10 A & 12 A) as lot 650 in our latest & Kynoch is thought to be the maker of these.

Usually found with 4 rows of four punch crimps spaced 90º around the mouth for wad retention, and that is a Kynoch patented feature.

Thank you!

If I remember correctly they were originally thought to be made by U.M.C. but the lastest is Kynoch. They can also be found in 2 5/8 lth and nickle plated.

[quote=“PetedeCoux”]We had a pair (10 A & 12 A) as lot 650 in our latest & Kynoch is thought to be the maker of these.

Usually found with 4 rows of four punch crimps spaced 90º around the mouth for wad retention, and that is a Kynoch patented feature.[/quote]

how do you know it is from kynoch , except the fact it has the 4 rows of four punch crimps spaced 90º around the mouth ??

Kynoch was not the only one to do that and furthermore in the old days US manufacturers didn’t care of the european patents (british ones or other countries ones)

jp

JP Please notice I say THOUGHT TO BE.

Yes others might have & did use punch crimps but TO MY KNOWLEDGE only Kynoch used that pattern of crimps. Others used different patterns of crimps.

Roundsworth
Does your example have the crimps?

The “Use Berdan Primer No. 1” and “Zulu” cartridges was offered together in a few American catalogues. One by E. C. Meacham describe them as “Imported Berdan, first quality”. Another by A. J. Rummel Arms Co. list only the “Zulu” as ‘Kynock’ (sic) made. Both can be found with four rows of indentations for wad retention patented by G. Kynoch on December 16, 1881. Boxes for these doesn’t mention any manufacturer or any hint as to its manufacturer. These are some of the reasons which lead to believe these are Kynoch products.

Pete, there are no crimps on the cases.

I have them with and without the wad holder. Only my 2 5/8 lth have the wad holder. Of course that does not mean there isnt 2 7/8 out there with the wad holder.

Rookie

Could you please put a picture of the base and a side view picture, please
jp

[quote=“jeanpierre”]Could you please put a picture of the base and a side view picture, please
jp[/quote]

If you really want to know

1. Could you please put a picture of the base and a side view picture, please
  2. and dimensions : rim diameter, rim thickness, base diameter

Thanks
JP

hello,
what is the year of this catalogue?
Or, best, what is the year of the oldest catalogue in which they are shown ?

Thanks
JP

Hello JP, the “Use Berdan Primer No. 1” is illustrated in E. C. Meacham 1893 catalog. Note the indentations on the Zulu shell and the note “can be crimped by the thumb”.

Thank you very much Fede !

How do you call in english when the base is raised in the center ?
I don’t think “mauser base” is the right term.

JP