Brass Shot gun Shells

When were brass shotgun shells first introduced? I know the military used them because paper hulls would swell when wet.

Are you talking for military use or in general?

The military also used them due to the loading & unloading of weapons when changing the guard as paper shells were fragile comparatively and wore out.

The question arose on a military thread. So I guess when did the military first start using them? Also civilians?

Dan Shuey in his 2nd volume shows the WRACo Rival brand from 1884. I was looking for a TM from WW I but don’t seem to have one but I’m sure they were used in the Trench warfare in the M-97’s

My guess that the US Military shells started with Frankford Arsenal’s 20 gauge(gage) Forager shells for the Model 1881 Springfield shotgun. The first specimens were of brass, later changed to copper, and subsequently to tinned brass. Earliest headstamp known is dated “10 81” for October 1881. Again, my somewhat educated guess…correct me if wrong.

USMC69

Attached cut from an 1882 catalog.

Jim

1 Like

Thank you, gentlemen!

Jim, it it sure it is from 1882 catalogue ?
Thanks
jp

Fede,

Correction - It is not actualy the full catalog but a list of prices to the trade dated June 1882. pic attached.

Jim

!877 Remington catalogue lists brass shot gun shells

Thanks
jp

J.P.

Sorry I got your name wrong on my previous reply.

Jim

No problem,Jim.

But the first picture, (not the price listing) , from which date is it ?
It is not from 1882, I think.
Could you confirm?
thanks
JP

JP.
I am confused. Why do you think that first pic is not from the 1882 price list ???
It is on the desk here in front of me.
attached the previous page quite clearly dated 1882.

Jim

Jim,
I thought the 1882 price list was just one page.
But from what you say it is not…
Right ?
JP

JP.
Five pages,
Jim

thank you.
I just wanted to be sure because it shows 18 Gauge shell.

Till now the earliest trace of the Kynoch 18 gauge shell I had was in an advertising of 1884.
Thanks
jp

J.P.

I must be getting old - I can not see an 18 gauge shell listed in my pic ?

Jim

no, it is me who does not see very good on the smatphone !!
sorry
jp