Braun & Bloem 12 Ga

BRAUN & BLOEM
No 12
D

[quote="Bob Ruebel
I looking down the case, there is a square movable/sliding anvil for cap extraction that appears to be a Buffington type patent.
[/quote]

Hi Bob
I don’t know the Buffington patent.
What is the difference with Sturtevant patent?

I doubt this shotshell has a Buffington (or sturtevant) patent primer.
Sliding anvil for cap extraction was known in Europe a long time before.
Generally speaking all the US patents of these days are copies of older European patents

I know such primers on French, English and German shotshells (paper and all brass cases)

PS: if you have a duplicate of this shotshells I can trade it against a Bachman whith a similar primer
jp

JP
I will email you what I have for info on Buffington patent etc.
What time frame for manufacture of this B & B shotshell.
Bob R.

[quote=“Bob Ruebel”]JP
I will email you what I have for info on Buffington patent etc.
What time frame for manufacture of this B & B shotshell.
Bob R.[/quote]

On this particular MANUFACTURER I don’t know
The CONTINENTAL PAPER shotshells with this kind of primer I know a date (it doesn’t mean they were not existing before of after) are :

1. SFM 1889, 1903
  2. Other french manufacturer : 1903
  3. SELLIER & Bellot : 1895
  4. Bachman 1904
  5. Cureghem 1898
  6. Francotte 1903

JP

Bob,
The B&B primer is often referred to as the “Bloem Primer”. It has the push-out anvil not unlike the Sturtevant primer. The device was patented in about 1881 and the British Patent (#5 of 1881) is registered under “Frank Wirth” who was a patent solicitor for Braun & Bloem. This patent claims the projecting “Anvil” was to facilitate ejecting the primer after the cartridge had been fired. I have found no information regard any equivalent patents by Bloem, Braun or Wirth in other countries (yet).

Chris P.

Thanks Bob for the mail, I had in fact the book but I was not home.

1. I see on the patents the small difference between Sturtevant and Buffington.
    They are variations of Delmard patent shown here.

The pin helps to eject the cup. and stays in the case.

2. As Chris says, the primer in the B&B (and the others I was refering) is different because the pin is part of the primer.
    The pin helps to eject the whole primer and therefore goes out whith the primer and doesn’t stay in the case.
    Here is a view of such a primer.

We call that in French a tail primer (amorce