Brazilian blank cartridge (Patrone Garcia)

Found in a scrap-book of press cuttings on military topics from the mid-1890’s to about 1905.

Peter

Peter: This is actually a blank cartridge, not a dummy. It is intended to be harmless to bystanders when fired, but this claimed harmlessness is described in more German words, grammar, and syntax than I’m up to just now. Jack

Actually the term “Exerzierpatrone” is a dummy cartridge in German but here we have Austrian/Swiss German where the meaning indeed is that of a blank cartridge.

As the German word (verb) “exerzieren” is describing the execution of a drill the general interpetation will basically allow for a much wider range of related issues.
All three “German” languages of Germany, Austria and Switzerland (we exclude Holland as they split off by keeping a very ancient German) developed along regional flaws, habbits and traditions what lead to quite a diverse meaning of the same terms while Austria and Switzerland sticked to a more antiquated vocabulary like it was used in Germany 100+ years ago.

The linguists amongst us may correct me if I got something wrong.

Whoops … I did wonder about the primer and the compound word “Pulvergasse”, both of which ought to have been a bit of a giveaway.

Hope it’s of some interest anyway …were they ever made in quantity?

Peter

I have to add that Swiss military manuals do use the term “Blinde Patrone” and “Knallpatrone” for blanks. So it might well be that the author of this Article was an Austrian who wrote for the Swiss Military Journal back in 1899.

Peter, great article, thank you very much for sharing. I have never seen an example of these blanks but I have a detailed drawing showing its components. It was designed in 1896 as an blank cartridge easily reloadable by “untrained personnel”.

Fede, who patented this design?

Alex, his name was Malaquias Garcia and he was a gunsmith who worked for the Arsenal de Guerra in Rio de Janeiro. Regards, Fede.