British 1" Flares

I have four more identification queries. Filling Factory initials.

1. W.F.B
  2. J.W & S
  3. I.R.P
  4. ICI/R

3.IRP is a rubber stamp mark on the case and some tin labels with an arrow. Usually within a year of the filling date but up to six years earlier on some Australian filled imported cases from UK.
ICI/R is noted only on my Navy white flares 1XTN

Any replies appreciated. Ron.

Ron, what would be the signal color of the C.T.B. / I.R.P. 42?

W.F.B. – Wilder’s Fireworks, Birmingham, Warwick Road, Greet, Birmingham, 11
J.W. & S. – Joseph Wells and Sons Ltd., Joyce Green Lane, Dartford, Kent.
I.C.I./R. – Imperial Chemical Industries, Roslin (or Roslyn), Midlothian, Scotland.
I.R.P. - Not known to me, but I think it is an inspection stamp of some sort

Hi,
C.T.B. is C.T. Brooks (Brooks Fireworks)
Regards
Horst

Thank you all as usual, you sorted out my unknowns.
My CTB flare is a J111T Illuminating (for EOD).
Should stand for C.T.Brock Fireworks. (for Horst. Typo)

Two new questions.
My SF 36 V111TN has SFH on the side loading data. Did Standard Fireworks have another factory?

I have a Proof load marked Lot 13. IFS/C. APR 43. Black case.
Did International Flare & Signal Co, Ohio also have a Canadian Branch?

Is this a Blue flare? Rim milled top and bottom quarters. Dark blue paper. J.P&S 1V headstamp.

The scarce Indian KF Kirkee J Mk 11T 5-10-40 has an unusual top-wad.
Did any other country mark wads with Dark Ignition? Did India load UK made empty cases?

SFH - Standard Fireworks, Huddersfield. It was their only factory and SFH was their (Ministry of Supply) recognized monogram.

Yes - IFS had a factory at Waterloo, Quebec.

It’s very doubtful that it is a blue flare as to obtain a worthwhile blue pyrotechnic composition is nigh on impossible.

How much of the rim is milled?

The ‘Dark Ignition’ is a bit pointless as the illumination element ignites within 30 yards of the point of firing.

As far as I’m aware Kirkee was self sufficient.

Thanks Tim.

Blue flares were made obsolete in July 1911 (LoC 15838) also announced no more rolled Mk 1V cases to be made. It is a NPE so possibly never loaded due to being obsolete.
What was the blue rim code? This two quarters milled is an odd one.

Was the May 20 answer about SFC being Crosland Hill, Scotland incorrect?
My UK geography is vague. What was the Huddersfield address if known.

IFS Quebec solves why I have a 2" green signal mortar with a Canadian 28ga cartridge. I thought it must have been a USA contract for Canada. So maybe loaded and made in Canada.

I had similar thoughts on dark ignition. You have illuminated yourself.

Ron,

I stand very much corrected (no pun intended). It is a blue flare.

To quote from “Monograph on Pyrotechnic Compositions” J.C Cackett. 1965 “…blue signal compositions must not contain magnesium or the blue emission will be completey masked. Blue signal flames are therefore very feeble.” With the possible confusion arising from the quarter milled rim, I can see why it didn’t last long. The attachment is from the British “Treatise on Ammunition. 1902”

Standard moved the Crosland Hill site in 1910, Crosland Hill is just outside Huddersfield (2.25 miles from city centre).

What other stampings and markings are on that 2" mortar?