British .303 Headstamp & Vickers belt link ID

Hello,

at a friend I just recently saw a short ammunition belt section of the .303 Vickers aircraft machine gun. Pictures are enclosed, but they might be temporarily unavailable, due to data transfer volume limitations at geocities. Please check back again later, thanks!

I am not so much into small arms ammo, so I am having a hard time identifying these.
From the markings on the headstamp I found out that they are ball, tracer and incendiary. However, the headstamp configuration is quite different from the form usually encountered on WWII cases. Are these pre-WWII rounds?
What do the markings “K23” and “K28” mean? Is than Kynoch 1923 (1928)?

I am also confused about the bullet identification letter: Shouldn

The rounds you have are typical Kynoch manufactured rounds for export between the wars. Yours probably came from one of the Baltic states.

The load identifier of British military ammo used a prefix up until 1926 (e.g. VIIG for tracer) and switched to a suffix letter after this date (thus VIIG became GI) Kynoch continued to use the old prefix system on their export loads for some years afterwards which explains what you have.

The numbers are the date as you thought and the reason there is no “Z” is because the rounds are loaded with cordite not nitro-cellulose.

As for the Prideaux links, they are not particularly rare, although the one marked with the Prideaux patent is quite desirable. I will leave the identification of the rest to others although MS is Myers and Sons.

Regards
TonyE