British 5.56mm Grenade blank

I have recently come across a couple of British 5.56mm blanks with the headstamp “R13BK RG 01”. Since the headstamp does not correspond to normal British nomenclature i wondered if anyone knew what they are.

They are reputedly Grenade blanks, but I thought that we now used bullet trap grenades with ball rounds.

Regards
TonyE

Tony,
This blank was manufactured at Radway Green, under a contract for the Netherlands. They are for the FN-MININI light machine gun and have the
designation of “Blank NR 298”. You should have a 4 lobe crimp with black crimp seal, a brass primer with a purple PA.

Standard 5,56 Blank dfor use in Minimi, in L85 type rifles, Steyrs, etc,etc

“R13BK” also fits the South African numbering system, and large quantities have been used by Australia since 1997 ( earliest “R13BK” date seen, others of 1996 are “RG LxAx” marking.)
WE got several 100,000s fired cases in our brass recycling operations ( for making 9mm Parabellum, 7,62 Tokarv and .380 ACP Blanks).

The Blanks were supplied both Linked and Loose (Plastic bags).

It is NOT an Exclusively “Netherlands” item.

Australia makes 5,56 Blanks every couple of years, and any shortfall is made up by Buying-in RG or FN or HP Blanks…the Long false Bullet profile is essential for feeding into Aus-Steyr rifles ( any of the US M200 style blanks tend to jam or misfeed…not that the Longer blanks do much better…they misfeed as well in the Steyr…

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics Film Ordnance Services
Brisbane Australia.

Many thanks guys.

I wonder how it differs from the normal L1A2 type blank used in the British service.

Regards
TonyE

Tony - food for thought - I also have British RG L1A3 and L18A1 blanks - all appear identical but from their designations clearly they are not. Any ideas anybody?
Jim

As a practical matter, I don’t think there is any difference, once they fire.

We have used both L marked and R13BK marked 5,56 Blanks for Movie use ( courtesy of the Singapore Defence Forces left-overs when on exercise here in Australia), and have found that apart from the markings, they are identical in function (ie, NO recalibration required in BFA for proper operation of the Guns).

Could it be that the “R13” marking is just to distinguish the Export type of Blank? Or maybe a different Powder Load, but made to the same “Functional Characteristics”?

Since we have not got any of the original packaging, which might shed some light on this problem, we can’t make any other observations.

Regards,
Doc AV

As a practical matter, I don’t think there is any difference, once they fire.

We have used both L marked and R13BK marked 5,56 Blanks for Movie use ( courtesy of the Singapore Defence Forces left-overs when on exercise here in Australia), and have found that apart from the markings, they are identical in function (ie, NO recalibration required in BFA for proper operation of the Guns).

Could it be that the “R13” marking is just to distinguish the Export type of Blank? Or maybe a different Powder Load, but made to the same “Functional Characteristics”?

Since we have not got any of the original packaging, which might shed some light on this problem, we can’t make any other observations.

Regards,
Doc AV