British 5 mm Pinfire Cartridges

First time I see that.
Each ctge is put in a small hole in a plate
there are two plates in the box
jp

I suggest that F.D and Co is Frank Dyke and Co. I would also suggest that France is a marketing euphamism for Belgium. I have no proof for either.

Hello
no, it was made by sfm in france
jp
ps : what is the value ? thanks

Frank Dyke is still in business, very much a name from my youth when they were a major importer / manufacturer of shotgun cartridges. Based now in South London . Don’t know what they are doing now but their name still comes up on listings.

$200ish to me if it’s full.

Maybe more to others.

How sure are you about the SFM?

Here is another 5mm box (by the way, this is packaged the same way. I have a few different boxes that are packaged like that.) made for F. D. & Co. This one says it was made in Linden (Which should be Germany, or maybe Linden, Belgium?? But probably by Georg Egestorff, in Linden, Germany).

Click Image for Larger Version

[quote=“Aaron”]How sure are you about the SFM?
[/quote]

Because I have the trade marks of SFM
On the picture below are shown the marks used for England

jp

Awfully similar anchor to the one Georg Egestorff used:

JP,
I’ve seen the “anchor” headstamp you pictured on 6mm Floberts. They were attributed to The Arms and Ammunition Co, Queen Victoria St, London England. I was told the boxes were marked “Made at our works in France” (never seen one myself). That would seen to confirm the SFM connection. Do you have any records for SFM making cartridges for this firm?

Paul

[quote=“Rimfire”]JP,
I’ve seen the “anchor” headstamp you pictured on 6mm Floberts. They were attributed to The Arms and Ammunition Co, Queen Victoria St, London England. I was told the boxes were marked “Made at our works in France” (never seen one myself). That would seen to confirm the SFM connection. Do you have any records for SFM making cartridges for this firm?

Paul[/quote]

hello paul,
Arms and Ammunition was a customer of SFM.

And yes I have records of hstps, drawings, and so on about the orders of this customer.
In the old times when I used to put a lot of drawings on this forum I posted some about A&A
I don’t know how to find them (too complicated) but you must find them
JP

Thanks JP, I’ll see what I can find. Like you sometimes I find it a little difficult to search for info on a specific topic.

Paul

A&A are no more but would have been a reseller and probably little more. Its doubtful that enough customers would beat a path to their door to make the business viable from the point of view of over the counter sales. It was the mail order business that kept them afloat and with a big empire in those days there was demand.
They probably marketed a range of popular calibres at the budget end and at reasonable prices.