British 6 pdr APCBC projectiles

Hello,
I thought some of you may like to see these 2 which I picked up for the collection last week.

The only thing I don’t know is the exact date they were manufactured,as there are no date markings anywhere!

What I do know is that it is sometime between 1943 (when the rounds were introduced),and 1960 (when the 6 pdr left British service).

Kind regards,
Andy

SUPER SWEET! I love the large bore stuff!

[quote=“AndyD”]Hello,
I thought some of you may like to see these 2 which I picked up for the collection last week.

The only thing I don’t know is the exact date they were manufactured,as there are no date markings anywhere!

What I do know is that it is sometime between 1943 (when the rounds were introduced),and 1960 (when the 6 pdr left British service).

Kind regards,
Andy

[/quote]

Nice projectiles Andy. Although the 6Pdr has been long out of service it continued for a long time on proof ranges testing armour plate. The projectiles were stored loose and each round was loaded individually on instructions by telephone after assessing the results of the previous round fired. About ten years ago there was a huge clear-out at Eskmeals Gunnery Range, Cumbria, England. As a result many projectiles, both fired and unfired, ended up in a scrap yard in Barrow-in-Furness. These ranged from 20mm Hispano plate test projectiles through 2Pdr, 40mm Bofors, 6Pdr, 17Pdr, 20Pdr, 25Pdr, 105mm, 120mm up to 155mm Howitzer. There were also plenty of 81mm Mortar drill/practice rounds. In most calibres there were AP, APCBC (Armour Piercing, Capped, Ballistic Capped), Inert HE and Proof projectiles. Several Tonnes of these were purchased from the scrapyard and have been spread throughout the collection fraternity. As your projectiles are painted plain black it is very likely that they came from the same source.

gravelbelly

Seems like some time since Gravelbelly showed up. Enjoyed your info. in the past.

Thanks very much for your reply gravelbelly,much appreciated!

Kind regards,
Andy

Found these interesting photos of a round being auctioned. The seller is calling it a “Harpoon Cartridge”. Anyhow, as much as whaling makes me sick to my stomach, I did find this case interesting and figured I would post the pics here for you guys to see. I learned from CSA, that their are special rounds to project the harpoon as well as ones that are located in the tip of the harpoon. Any of you have a collection of these?