British Cartridge Boxes

Hi, All…
Here is a scan of a nice little .30 Flanged for Purdey Rifles box…(basically a British version of the .30-40 Krag)

When were these type of boxes introduced ?..I assume they were produced until about 1962 or so ?

Ooppss…Forgot to mention the date code on box bottom…18 K U…this should translate to April 18, 1946…if I am “doing the math” correctly…

Randy

The yellow and red Kynoch boxes were still around in considerable numbers in 1970 when I worked for Holland and Holland on an “ad hoc” basis sighting in rifles at their shooting grounds in Northwood. By that time they were making ammunition in batches rather than continuous production so they could have been much older and kept in store.

Vince…Worked !! ??..Ha !!..Sounds like a lot of fun to me, sighting in rifles all day !!

So when did Kynoch begin using the red and yellow boxes ?

Randy

Randy The Holland and Holland shooting ground is about 5 miles from where I grew up and you could hear them shooting from my school. So it wasn’t so suprising that I gravitated to working there on a casual basis when I was 16 as a trapper.
They also had a 200yds rifle range where they would sight in rifles that had been worked on in their factory. The man whose job it was to do the sighting in was all too happy to let us do the donkey work before stepping in and making the final adjustments himself. However, shooting those big guns every day was actually quite punishing and more like hard work than it sounds.Made worse by the fact that the factory would only send out one box of ammunition for the sighting in. So if things were not going well and the rifle refused to group with the ammunition it was a problem. We had to send back a target with each rifle with a tight little group in the middle. Not easy I can assure you.

Another little story from that time that will have a certain significance to this forum and bring things back more onto an ammunition based theme. Given the confusing number of similar sounding calibres to be found within the British gun trade ( .xyz rimmed, rimless, flanged etc. Or about six different varients of .450-400) it was not suprising how often the factory would send out the wrong ammuntion with the rifle. To us that was an inconvenience but no big deal. It wasn’t usually discovered however until we tried to load it in the rifle.

How many times must the wrong ammunition have been shipped out to various customers in far flung corners of the globe? Or imagine arriving on Safari in Africa to find you have been sold the wrong ammunition?

This was about 40 years ago and there was a much heavier bias on big game rifles than would be found today. It did however leave me with an undying impression that a lot of that Kynoch ammuninition was very poor and that has never left me. On the plus side it taught me to shoot and even today I can sight in any rifle from scratch in about four shots.

[quote=“30army”]…I assume they were produced until about 1962 or so ?

Randy[/quote]

Actually Randy, Kynoch cartridges are still produced today and the boxes are identical red and yellow. The company producing them is a company called Kynamco Ltd but although they retain the name and produce many of the old big game cartridges they are not the old Kynoch company. They are a modern business that has bought the rights and were wise enough to retain the old “retro” appearence of the boxes, and indeed the ammunition. The ammo is produced to the original spec but using modern powders and Woodleigh bullets.

Kynoch ran down their ammunition production piecemeal as demand dwindled before having a last big production run and putting the ammo produced into store some time around the mid 60s. No doubt someone on here can provide an actual date.
Then, as I understand it they sold their cartridge case making machinery and tooling to Bertram. Again, no doubt somebody else on here can confirm or refute that but thats the folklore as I understand it.

kynochammunition.co.uk

The ammunition is very expensive, I believe we are talking in terms of about $8000 US per hundred for .600NE but that is no dearer in real terms than it would have been in the 1920s in England.

As an aside, and this is way off topic, if you look on youtube there is a video of some madman firing a .600NE pistol! Maybe now the ammunition is back in production we will see a rebirth of interest in the calibre?

Vince

I remember seeing on another forum that there has been renewed interest in these calibres in the USA now that it is alot cheaper to build a bolt gun to fire them. Apparently this is because today more people have access to CNC machine tooling.

So, guys…When did Kynoch begin using the red and yellow boxes ? I knew about Kynamco…bet they aren’t producing the .30 Purdey…or, if they are…another box to get !!

I got the Pudey box the other day…out of England…and turns out the fellow also had basically same box but .30 Flanged, U.S.A. Model…and I’ve been searching for these for a long time. NOW…to find some of the older Kynoch boxes for the Krag cartridge !!

Randy