British line throwing pistol and its ammo

I just brought this one home. It has “crown, GR, crossed swords, P” faintly on top, “M601” on the hammer, serial on the barrel’s left, and unreadable remnants of instruction stickers on top and left of the receiver, some warning about “this line”. My take is it is a British Naval line thrower, don’t know the calibre, but it is bigger than 12g. Does anyone know its name, what the warnings say, and what ammo/projectile it fired? Pics would be nice, or a website name.

Hey Vlad

Most of the line throwing guns, British ones at least, have a handle attached to the barrel. Still looking for a comparable example for a positive ID. If there are NO marks on the top of the barrel, “attachment” points, if you will, then this may have been a flare gun. Still searching.

Rick

OK, but most flare guns have short barrels since it does not matter where in the sky the flare goes.

Yes. And the line throwing guns I’ve seen so far have a larger diameter barrel. This one is an oddity, so far.

Vlad,

While accuracy may not be a concern, perhaps velocity may have been the goal of the longer barrel? This is the “snubbie” version with flared muzzle and is marked “PISTOL SIGNAL 1 IN 2 A”. Forgot to extend to lanyard loop for the photo…

The aluminum item is a 12ga. adaptor next to a classic 25mm Red Meteor. 16 ga. for scale.

Dave

And here’s the later version. WITH the lanyard loop(s) extended.

Rick,

Now those are snubbies!

Dave

You gentlemen have very nice flare pistols but I still want to know why, with the existance of short barrel ones there was a need for a clumsy monster like than (imagine the holster!!)

Looks like a Schermuly line thrower. As stated most have a handle on top of the barrel. It uses the Webley breech action with a long barrel. It fired a large rocket which slipped over the barrel. Th e rocket was ignited by a 1" blank ctg.
This one appears to be built on the later stamped frame and they were also built on the machined brass frame.

[quote=“DaveE”]
The aluminum item is a 12ga. adaptor next to a classic 25mm Red Meteor. 16 ga. for scale.

Dave[/quote]
Some people are not afraid to yse a 16 Gauge in a flare pistol??!!!
If I were you I won’t do that too often !!! (not even one time about me!!)

jp

[quote=“jeanpierre”]Some people are not afraid to yse a 16 Gauge in a flare pistol??!!!
If I were you I won’t do that too often !!! (not even one time about me!!)

jp[/quote]

Not a 16 gauge but a 12 gauge !!!
Worse !!!
jp

Vlad.

Now a Rocket Launching Line Throwing flare pistol is very cool! Would be interesting to see the whole set-up with blank 1" cartridges, rockets and all…

JP,

The 16 ga. was just for scale vs. the 1" shell. The 12 ga. adaptor is short chambered for the marine flares that are now used in plastic flare guns! I think Olin still markets them.

I seem to recall seeing another adaptor that could be used in a flare pistol in a much smaller caliber? Perhaps for quiet signaling?

Dave

[quote=“DaveE”]Vlad.

The 12 ga. adaptor is short chambered for the marine flares that are now used in plastic flare guns! I think Olin still markets them.
Dave[/quote]
ok. if they are 12 g flares no problem because there is no pressure

I have contacted many flare guns factories and search to find the maximum pressure of a manufactured flare ctge, I never had any answer and was uneable to find any document.
jp

3 1 inch pistol flares. The Very Pistol was still on issue to the Brit Army when I was in. It is still in service as the Pistol Signal No 1 (1 inch)

Line thrower

Line thrower and rocket

Hi sksvlad,
your pistol is a Schermuly line - thrower. There are three sizes: 30mm, 41mm and 50mm. Your pistol is the smallest version, based on the flare gun No1MkV. Manufactured not before 1944! The picture from DaveE shows a flare gun No1MkV, the picture from SlickRick shows a flare gun No2MkV. The line - thrower from Armourer is the 41mm - version, based on a pistol No1MkV and the the line - thrower from gyrojet is the same, but based on a pistol No1MkIII*. I hope, this helps.
Best regards flare

Thanks, Mr.Flare,
You are most likely right. I found this advertised as "RARE SCHERMULY ROCKET PISTOL - 30MM MARINE FLARE GUN"
zefarm.net/productView.php?id=5193&cat_id=5
Mine has no handle, and no visible marks of detachment. Maybe they just forgot the handle.