British made 6.5mm (0.256") Arisaka

Here’s something I found in the List of Changes (LoC), a comprehensive list of equipment issued to British forces from the 1880’s until NATO cataloguing and stock-numbers took over in the 1950’s. The pages are from the 1917 volume and relate to the issue, following the acceptance of sealed patterns for the cartridges, chargers and packaging, of 0.256" Arisaka ammunition.

My apologies for the distortion in the copies, the volume was tightly bound and couldn’t be opened full.

Here are examples of the MkI and MkII British Arisaka chargers;

There were a number of different makers for the MkI charger, but the MkII seems to have only been made by Hinks Wells.

Pete

3 Likes

The Mark I cartridge was the Type38 (1905), Model of 1907 Rifle according to LoC;
The .256 Mark II was the earlier Type 30 ( 1897, Model of 1900
Rifle according to LoC.
The reason was that the Russians ( and the RN) got both Types of Rifles, and found that the Spitzer ( T38) cartridge had inaccuracy in the earlier T30 Rifle ( vs RN bullet Type 30 cartridge)
Hence .256 MkII is later Introduction, but earlier cartridge Type.
Vagaries of War and British Beaurocracy.
Doc AV

PS, are there any Kynock Drawings of the .256 Cartridge, both Marks???. Need them for CNC projectile CAD. AVBTechServices.

from left to right:
nickel-plated steel, phosphated steel, nickel-plated steel (kynoch), brass (Russian), brass (kynoch)
Who made the 2 left clips?
Arisaka’s bullet made of copper(Cu+Pb). the brass was W/O HS.

I’ve heard, and I don’t know if this is true, that the brass stripper clip with steel spring, second from right, is very rare and expensive to obtain. I have 3 of them, purchased at gun shows, loaded with 7.7mm ball rounds, WW2 issue. Is this correct about the rarity of the clips? Tom from MN

How do we know the one is Russian?

The “hard-edge” square-section chargers are almost certainly Japanese production, I think of them as earlier than the more rounded edge ones which were probably a manufacturing simplification. The holes in the body, that vary in size, also seem to be unique to Japanese chargers. Most Japanese steel bodied chargers have some kind of surface coating to prevent rusting but this is usually a “tinned” matt finish rather than an electrolytic one, I’ve never seen one with a shiny finish although what we see now might have changed over time … might your nickled one have been polished, the others seem quite shiny too. There are lacquered steel chargers but these seem to have been for use with drill cartridges and are hard to find.

The brass charger 2nd from right seems to be ordinary Japanese production, did this one come with original packaging to show where it was made ? ;

The usual caveat applies that these are just opinions based on observations, there is a reasonable amount of official documentation relating to British production, but I’ve never seen anything similar for Japanese made chargers.

Pete

Coverage on hard-edge is exactly the same as on 7.7SR clip.
I don’t know for sure, but it doesn’t sound like tinning. More like nickel plating.
Brass clip, which I called Russian. I found several of these on the battlefields with Russian cartridges. W\O HS, made Peterburgs catridge plants. Perhaps my calling them Russians is wrong. Then even 7x57 (japanese made) was equipped with such clips and they were also found.

Thing is that so far nobody ever was able to ID Russian made 6.5mm Arisaka cartridges - if these ever existed.
Russia’s standard issue was Japanese and British made ammunition.

Great Info on the clips;
My original request was for
Kynock Cartridge Designs, including Specifications for Projectile. ( T38).
Doc AV