British WW2 30.06 Dummy

Hello,

WW2 British chrome plated 30.06 dummies can be found either with red or green painted flutes : is there any special meaning of the color of the flutes ?

Are green flutes only found on dummies imported from Remington ?

Thanks

JFL

PS : I have of course seen the excellent article by Tony Edwards on US ammunition supplied to Great-Britain in the last IAA bulletin #485

Do you have a picture of a dummy with red flutes on a WWII case.
All red coloured dummies I have are post-WWII and I have only seen green flutes on WWII cases.
Also green flutes only on US cases and red flutes only on UK cases.

thx
René

The colour red is used in British Military for anything which is non standard or deliberately non functioning DP etc. We easily accept the idea of red for danger or no-go (even stop lights) today, but the historical origin is military because so many soldiers years ago were illiterate. What they did about the ones that were colour blind isn’t recorded.

Like Rene, I have never seen a British WWII period .30 inch drill round with a chromed case with red flutes, although some examples of the D 1942 Canadian Pattern have been reported with red flutes. (see below). The only other chromed drill rounds from that period are those with green flutes made by Remington.

The approved .30 inch British drill rounds in WWII were:

Cartridge S.A. Drill .30 inch D Mark I - Made from a fired US case fitted with a ball or AP bullet, usually soldered to the case, with two pairs of holes in case and a wood distance piece.

Cartridge S.A. Drill .30 inch D Mark II - Also made from a fired US case drilled with two pairs of holes, but with a combined red wood bullet and distance piece.

Cartridge S.A. Drill .30 inch D Mark IIII - For Indian service. Only a drawing is known and consisted of a brass case with six flutes and a ball bullet on a wood distance piece.

Cartridge S.A. Drill .30 inch D Mark IV - Similar to the Mark II with the bullet and distance piece made in one, but with the bullet portion covered by a CN or CNCS envelope.

Cartridge S.A. Drill .30 inch D. 1942 Canadian Pattern - Used a ball case and bullet, the case chromed with three plain flutes. However, some have been noted with red painted flutes.

There are other WWII British drill rounds that were not allocated a formal title, including the cast metal type made by Lines Bros. and D Mark II type but with red plastic bullet and no case holes. Also quantities of the Canadian C13A1 drill round entered British service. These had a plain brass fluted case with a commercial style headstamp “D.C.Co. 30SPG”.

Post war the Cartridge S.A. Drill .30 inch D Mark 5 was introduced which had a chromed case withn three red flutes, but these can be readily identified by the date in the headstamp, usually 1963 or 64.

Picture shows D Mark I, D Mark II, D Mark III, Canadian C13A1, D Mark 5.

Regards
TonyE

Thank you for these information.

I needed to know which dummy rounds would be relevant to display with the British stripless belt dated 1941 for Home-Guard cal. 30.06 US mod. 1915 Vickers weapon.

Cheers,

JFL

The Marks I, II and IV would all be correct for Home Guard use.

Regards
TonyE

Tony, Is this correct, or are you messing with my mind?

Cartridge S.A. Drill .30 inch D Mark IIII - For Indian service.

Thanks,
Dan

Now why would I want to do that Dan?

Perfectly genuine details shown in Kirkee Arsenal Ammunition Notes, January 1945.

I can post the drawing if you wish.

Regards
TonyE

Thanks for the answer Tony.
I’m having enough fun, sorting out the 303’s!

Dan