Bulgarian 5.56x45 Arsenal question

Hi to all!

I wish to ask something about our Bulgarian 5.56x45 Arsenal ammunition.
As we all know the primary wounding mechanism of the 5.56 bullet is fragmentation. Is anybody has ever tryed the fragmenting properties of the Bulgarian bullet? It is made of mild steel and is cupro-zinc plated and have a lead core. Unfortunately the cartridge and the bullet is not around me, so I can’t say the weight of the bullet (probably is like that of M193) and the thickness of the jacket, but I’ll post some pictures.

I’d be happy to test some if you can direct to a place where it’s easily purchased by the box. My agency has already selected suitable ammunition (none of it FMJ), but I still test various cartridges from time to time.

At first glance, the cannelure looks light/shallow…the canneulure/“knurl” is what assists many 5.56x45mm/.223 Remington loads with predictable fragmentation. That, coupled with a mild steel jacket and the frequency with which I find harder alloy/lead bullet cores in former ComBloc ammo lead me to believe it would perform less reliably than a similar US load.

I’d much rather test it and see! Please forward me any information on getting some of it.

Fragmentation?
I thought they would have tumbled on impact?
I thought Full Metal Jacket Projectiles did a very good job of NOT fragmenting.

To Mwinter:
My thoughts about fragmentation are exaclty as yours!
Unfortunately I’ve not possibility to direct to you some of these rounds right now, but I’ll think about that. I hope I’ll have a possibility to post some additional info about the round and bullet soon.

To craigt:
I’m not agree with you - some FMJ no matter RN or pointed with thick jacket or hard core did not fragment in soft tissues (like the bullets of AK47/74 for instance) and yes, their primary wounding effect occurs when they begin to tumble and reach the point of traveling sideways, the transfer of their energy is much rapid (and thus causing greater temporary and permanent cavity), than when traveling point or base forward (bigger interaction surface), but did not disintegrate upon passage through the soft tissue.
But that is not the case with M193 or M855 - upon impact they begin to tumble as abovementioned non-fragmenting bullets and when they reach the point of traveling sideways, when they possess enough velocity (energy), they can’t withstand the tension and usualy break up in the area of the cannelure and after that, in dependence of residual velocity (energy), nose section usually travels on its own path, and the rear section of the bullet either fragments further or remain relatively intact, but forms different wound channel than that of the nose part.

Look at that artickle by Martin L. Fackler:
http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Fackler_Articles/wounding_patterns_military_rifles.pdf

This subject is also of interest:
http://www.brassfetcher.com/US%20M193%20bare%20gelatin.pdf

Take care and have fun!

Weight of the bullet: 3.55 g (about 55 grains)
Thickness of the jacket: about 0.6 mm (.024’’).