Bulgarian 7.62mmNATO Stripper Clip manufacturer

Dose any one know who this makers marking might belong too?

The stripper clip was loaded with 1970’s Indian M80 Ball ammunition. From what I have observed the Indian’s reused any stripper clips they had including examples from the FN, UK and Australia. The question is where did this one come from or is from within India?

This one is Bulgarian from Kazanlak, Sophia, former Durjava Voenna Fabrika. Likely a 7.92x57 stripper.

EOD - your identification of the maker is correct, but with the single “bump” centered on each side, it is a 7.62 x 51 NATO clip, intended for the charging guides on the SLR or M14. One for a Mauser would have two “bumps” on each side. Kazanluk made some 7.62 NATO ammo, Headstamp “10” with CWS cases. These clips are probably from whatever that contract was for.

About the clip I was not sure, thanks for correction. The Bulgarian CWS 7.62x51 are known in boxes with Spanish language markings. Bulgaria was till recently a very active arms exporter.

8x57 mauser clips actually have 3 “bumps”, have a German WWII one flying around on my desk right now.

I wonder if there is a strict rule with these “bumps”. Know Spanish 7x57 with 2 “bumps”. Bit confusing the whole business.
Someone needs to write a proper book on Mauser style clips I think.

• I have a cardboard box of 15 rimless cartridges 7.62X51 made in Bulgaria in 1969 with CWS cases. The ammo is not on stripper clips. The impressed headstamp reads “10” over “69”. All the info printed on the box is in English. Liviu 03/10/07

Thanks for the info guys,

This is definitely a 7.62mm NATO stripper clip. From the research I had done via the internet and through books it was all pointing me to the 10 inside the double circles as being Bulgarian. I just thought it was a little strange for them to be making 7.62NATO in 1965.

But still it’s continuing to point at them. If it’s confirmed as Bulgarian I guess I better start a new page. When did Bulgaria start making 7.62NATO?
Does anyone now if they produced stripper clipped ammo in Bandoliers or cardboard boxes?

The details of this clip are held on this page http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~kevin_a/India.html

I do know of some serious Mauser clip collectors and there are 100’s of examples out there ranging from different markings and slightly different designs. In the past I have tried to nudge others into producing websites about other stripper clips and links so we can all learn more about them, but it’s a slow and daunting process for some of them. The info is out there, it’s just a matter of getting to it.

I’ll post some other makers markings that I’m unsure off and we can continue to play “Name that Maker”

[quote=“EOD”]About the clip I was not sure, thanks for correction. The Bulgarian CWS 7.62x51 are known in boxes with Spanish language markings. Bulgaria was till recently a very active arms exporter.

8x57 mauser clips actually have 3 “bumps”, have a German WWII one flying around on my desk right now.

I wonder if there is a strict rule with these “bumps”. Know Spanish 7x57 with 2 “bumps”. Bit confusing the whole business.
Someone needs to write a proper book on Mauser style clips I think.[/quote]

Whilst agreeing that 8x57 Mauser clips have 3 “bumps” there are exceptions to this. The central bump serves no purpose except to identify the calibre for the German designed clip and to avoid confusion with the various 6.5’s and 7mm etc. The identical “3 bump” clip, the Model 1898, was also used by Germany for the 7.92mm Kurz cartridge. Portugal made a two bump version for 8x57mm Mauser. The early British 7.62x51mm clips had 2 bumps (Mark 2), changing to a single bump later (mark 3). There are also 3 bump clips where the central bump is offset from the other two. This clip fits different rifles, sitting on the end bump on some and on the central bump on others. The mauser family of clips can be varied and bewildering, an article by John Elphick in a recent ECRA bulletin cleared up a lot of the confusion.

gravelbelly

[quote=“NZ L1A1 Collector”] I just thought it was a little strange for them to be making 7.62NATO in 1965.
[/quote]

There are “10 62” (Spanish markings on box) and a “10 70” (no idea what box). There is also a brass cased “10 70” but I’m not sure if it was maybe made by Hirtenberger or so.
Liviu is right there is also an English marked box which has green markings (do not remember the hs now)

By the way, the Czechs also made 7.62x51 in 1967 I think and the cartridge designation on the box was “7.62 T65”.

Thanx for the info,

Dose anyone know if the Czechs also made stripper clips for their ammo?

Yes, that is the plant now known as Arsenal.

Thanx for the info,

Dose anyone know if the Czechs also made stripper clips for their ammo?[/quote]

Never seen such ones, all boxes I have seen were 20 rd in 2 rows and no clips.