Bulgarian 7.62x25 Primers

Is there anything special about a Bulgarian 7.62x25 cartridge having a zinc plated primer? How many different dates are known?

Thanks for the help.

Fede

Off-hand I can’t recall ever seeing one! Do you have a picture? The only known Bulgarian headstamp/date I’m missing is B / A / Q / 46 /. Is that the date of the one you’re asking about?

Are images available of that hs and of the primer?

??B A Q 46??? BULGARIA uses Cyrillic script, so
“B” could mean Voinni ( military/ war) and
“A” could mean Arsenal…but Q does not exist in Cyrillic

1946 was a transition year for the Bulgarian ammo industry, 7.62x 54R was being made with 8x56R bunters, with 46 and 47 dates; I don’t know what happened to other calibres; 7.62x25 was certainly . that new to Bulgaria in 1945-6 ( communist control since late 1944). The factory code 10 for Kazanlak only became common in 1948 -9.
A photo would be helpful to all of us please.

Fede,what is your source for the BAQ headstamp?

Doc AV

Not really helpful, but thanks for all that.

Jon, headstamp is just the typical 310 53 you can find in most cartridges available in shooting quantities. Here is a picture of the headstamp and packet:

Regards,

Fede

1 Like

Thanks, that’s a new variation for me! Packet appears standard, no mention of a primer change. Perhaps the primers were sourced from a new or foreign supplier. Anyone in contact with John Munnery? Excellent picture. Something new to look for.

I am in occasional contact with John Munnery, but don’t know how to send a copy of this to him. I can ask him about it. Before I do, I will check his book on Bulgarian ammunition.

I have never seen a zinc (greyish) primer in a Bulgarian cartridge. Will the primer take a magnet, Fede (if this is your cartridge, or at hand!)?

I will have to do the checking late Monday, as this whole weekend is taken up for me!

John M.

John, just send him the link to this thread. He will read all by himself then.

Alex, do you know anything about these primers? Possible import from another WP member?

John, no way I can check, I only have the pictures.

Jon, these primers do not ring a bell here but I have asked back to Bulgaria and hope that he person will tell us something new.

John Munnery also reports a 7.65 mm Browning dated 1958 with a “tinned primer” (sic).

16 round packets. Packets 1 & 2 contain cartridges dated 1949 and the packets are constructed of thin tan/off white card stock. Packets 3 & 4 are constructed of medium thickness tan craft paper and contain rounds dated 1953. Packet 5 contains cartridges dated 1951 and is constructed of thin craft paper with light purple shading and the label has light green shading. I have seen packets that are dull blue/gray with an applied off white label printed in black and pink packets with an applied pink label printed in black.

From an old listing on Armslist, pink packets with applied pink labels printed in black
%20b

How common are packets in off white paper with a rubber stamp label in blue and string tied?

Brian

PS- It looks like the blue stamped labels & string tied packets are fairly common, here are some photos from the internet. For photo #2, look at the insert photo of the headstamp (lower left), it appears to have a ZINC plated primer & a different style of headstamp " 10 53 " :

62x25mm%20Bulgaria%2C%20d
62x25mm%20Bulgaria%2C%20e
62x25mm%20Bulgaria%2C%20f

Brian, thanks a lot for the comparison image! Very helpfull!

Interesting. So much of that has been available here for so long that I’ve stopped even looking at it…same bullets, cases, packets, headstamps. Now I will have to watch for primer variations!

So we have even different headstamps with these primers now but all dated 1953.

Maybe experiments with primers?

I’m not sure about the 10 53 cartridge; I think it’s just a light effect.

Ok, let’s see what will turn up then. Maybe some people will feel inspired now to digg their boxes.

Was there not a change in primer size in the 7.62 m/m pistol cartridge in the east bloc in this general period? Is it possible the zinc finish was intended to call attention to the primer? I have noted primer size variations in this caliber but don’t have my notes at hand. Jack