Bullet and ammo stripper clips

I found them in a former WW2 Eastern Front combat area .

1. Bullet (WW2 ?)

2. (3x)Ammo stripper clips (WW2 ? Steel/iron made ?; found very close to each other…almost the same place…)

If the bullet won’t attract a magnet, I suspect it’s an 8 m/m Lebel balle D. Jack

I thought the same, but again, the diameter does not fit. It should be 8.3 mm (and weight 12.8 g). The length is OK.

Yes it is a 8mm Lebel Mle 1886D bullet.

Thank you guys ! Should I use the ‘ruler’ again for the diameter…?

Very interesting and strange somehow…it’s about the same former WW2 Eastern Front combat area (and a camp area of a big german or romanian unit from then, I’m not sure yet…) like the other finds… Thinking about the position, geographic ‘points’ and the context…for the first I thought it’s ‘from’ the soviets (smb. from Red Army, the 2nd Ukrainian Front…fired to the germans/romanians positions…) ?!

I will ‘try’ a magnet…!

…and the ammo stripper clips ? These ammo stripper clips are first ones of this type I found; other 3 ammo stripper clips I found are czeh…that type with no “holes”, brass made… (https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/casing-id/25827/11)

Hi all

These are German production clips, up to 7.9x57 Mauser ammo.

Rufus

Romania, as well as Poland, used a considerable number of French weapons after WW1. Finding a balle D in an area used by Romanian forces is quite plausible.

Regarding the caliper, its perfectly suited to measure bullets. Your photographs show its jaws along the longitudinal axis of the bullets. When measuring, a 90 degree angle between jaws and bullets is best. Also, be sure the jaws contact the largest diameter area, not one of the grooves left on the bullet by the rifling.

“Lebel” (?) bullet - measuring 2 :

JPeelen, u’r right ! BUT…thinking about the “position” of the bullet (not depth…), the historical context… (august 1944…) and the opposing forces positions/movements…I thought this bullet is ‘from’ soviets…BUT… ;-/

Rojon,
believe it or not, 7.94 mm is about right for the crimping groove of the French balle D. From the photographs, it looks you are measuring crimping groove diameter.
The largest bullet diameter (about 8.3mm) in this case is just in front (towards the bullet nose) of the groove. The rear part directly behind the groove should be about 8.1 mm. This is a peculiarity of the balle D. Most bullets have the largest diameter near the base.

Edit: Measuring the crimping groove would also explain the 7.92 mm you show for the suspected German bullet in the other thread. German crimping groove diameter is nominally 7.95 mm. If you use the flat part of the caliper jaws instead of the knife edge part at the mouth, you can easily avoid measuring the groove.

I measured the bullet “right behind” the crimping groove (between the groove and the “base” of the bullet)… ;-/

So, any idea/opinion about this bullet: Lebel, Berthier or Mannlicher… ? ;-/

…most likely steel made (?!). Thank you.

100% steel :-)

Wow…I ‘discovered’ a ‘headstamp’ on the bottom of the bullet…

…and…I verified the bullet: it’s non magnetic !

So…could this bullet be 8mm Lebel Mle 1886D ?
Mmmm, I didn’t find any mentions about using Lebel rifle by the Romanian Army in the WW2 (only Berthier and Mannlicher md. 1893 and md. 1895, as old rifles)…BUT…

Lebel and Berthier have the same ammo.
What you have is a 8mm Mle 1886D bullet made in USA for France during WW1

…and found in Romania, in a former WW2 Eastern Front combat area… !? ;-/ (that headstamp…?)
So, maybe this bullet was ‘fired’ from a Berthier…

And THIS bullet ? > Bullet ID help!