Bullet Boards - where do I find info on the history of these

Hi
I’ve collected a growing number of bullet boards from companies such as Sierra, Hornady, Speer, Nosler etc. I want to research the history of these boards, but am finding it impossible to find information on them. As an example, I emailed Sierra regarding a number of their boards. They could not tell me exactly what year they were produced, or how many they made!
Speer have good info on their website, but the rest I am in the dark on.
Can anyone help me out?
Does anyone know of any articles that have been written on these?
Thanks in advance.

Over the years, I have seen an occasional blurb in a magazine, usually in the form of an ad, about various specific bullet boards, but I have never seen any study regarding them. I suppose that factory catalogs would offer some help, although sometimes they only announce that a board is available for sale, but without an illustration of it. Other than contacting the factory (sending expendable snapshots of each board from that maker) and hoping that they answer, I have no other suggestion than researching them in the factory catalogs for the periods you suspect the boards are from.

Admittedly, contacting the factories, I would expect no more than a ten percent chance of reply.

Thanks John, much appreciated.
I would like to write an article for our local shooting magazine on these, but will have to do some serious homework before I begin due to the lack of available information.

If you post a photo of a board here, I suspect that a number of people may know various pieces to the puzzle and help you along.
Not everyone can own rarities like the 1914 Eley cartridge board (in New Zealand, by the way!) discussed previously on this site. I think a lot of younger collectors may be getting started with just the sort of boards you mention.

Thanks John, great idea. I’ll get the camera out and let the audience make some informed comment.
I have seen a number of cartridge boards in New Zealand, such as Kynoch, H & H etc, but they are very scarce here. I suspect they are owned by a just a handful of collectors. Generally we have to wait for collectors to die before they come on the market! ( I presume it is similar in the US).

The most agressive collector of bullet boards known to me is Jerry Killett from Sykesville Md. . He is no longer an IAA member but is selling off his collection on the various web sites,mostly Auctionarms. He is “RETIRED COLLECTOR”. You might want to ask him about such things. He has plenty of them.

tgwh
I see you found the place, and have gotten some good answers (or at least more/better answers than you got on the AR forum).

[quote=“Tailgunner”]tgwh
I see you found the place, and have gotten some good answers (or at least more/better answers than you got on the AR forum).[/quote]

What is an AR forum ?

Great idea…lets post photos of “boards”…not sure how to organize them…(I do not collect them and I have 20+)…mostly “bullet” boards, several are “cartridge” boards…and a couple “one of a kind” (as they were done at a factory shop)(one Win, one Rem)

I beleive my first was a Hornady circa early 70’s…if I remember right, I paid under $15 ordering directly from Hornady…sound right ?

[quote=“CSAEOD”][quote=“Tailgunner”]tgwh
I see you found the place, and have gotten some good answers (or at least more/better answers than you got on the AR forum).[/quote]

What is an AR forum ?[/quote]

The forums at www.AccurateReloading.com They have a small “cartridge collectors” board over there, along with some more general hunting/shooting boards (and more than a couple of serious wildcatters hang out there)

tgwh

Your experiences with the major US bullet makers such as Sierra, Speer, Hornady, etc are much different than mine. All of them have a staff of technicians, historians, and PR people who are more than willing to help with any kind of questions. I realize it may be cost prohibitive for you, but I simply pick up the phone and call them when I have a question about anything in their line. I’m a shooter, and maybe that helps, but they have always gone out of their way to find answers. In fact, they will talk your head off if you let them.

Maybe start off your conversation by saying you want to talk about shooting prairie dogs and then work your way into the bullet board question?

Ray