Bullet characteristics for some .401 Winchester cartridges?

My momma told me there were no stupid questions but this may be the exception. Of the .401 cartridges in the photo, most that I own (maybe 50 rounds) look like the one to the far left, either smooth cupro-nickel or brass. The five in the middle and the one on the right have an indent or line perpendicular to the long axis of the bullet. What is the function or significance of this? Thank you for your time.

I think they note bullet weight. Try weighing the cartridges to check this.

Thanks PetedeCoux! I think you are correct. This 1916 Winchester catalog page clearly shows the 250 grain bullet marked as such. Of course you would need a way to determine 250 grain from 200 grain if you’re holding a cartridge in your hand.

I’m borrowing a scale this weekend to double check it.

My 200 gr. load weighs, the complete round, 343 grains; the 250 should be about 390-400. Jack

Thanks Jack. That information will help.

The eight “marked” .401 cartridges range from 396 to 402 grains so proof that these are the 250 grain bullets. Cool. I should point out that those out of boxes that have 200 grain bullets in them range from 345 to 350 grains.

Bought a scale, didn’t like the borrowed one. Here’s what I’ve found. Remington/UMC box marked “468” in lower right corner of top had 20 cartridges that averaged 344.59 grains. Winchester box marked 10/9 on lower right corner of top averaged 356.05 grains for 13 rounds. Winchester box red over yellow averaged 343.335 for 20 rounds. The three Winchester rounds like the one in the far right of the photo above averaged 399.8 grains and the five Peters rounds in the middle of the photo above averaged 398.0 grains.