Bullet ID

30 caliber (.308"), loaded in a US Cal .30 (30-06) case. At least 2 pieces. Body is a dark brown color. stained or painted? Tip is a lighter brown with two small holes that appear to have lead extruded from the core. Very similar to some of the US Patented hunting bullets from the 1920s and 1930s. No idea of weight (I’d have to pull it).

What is it?

Ray

30-06 with tinned GM cap on bullet

Ray…

Appears to be a Remington “Umbrella Point” bullet…colors a bit strange due to age and exposure ??

Randy

Randy

That was my first guess too. But, I’ve handled quite a few of the Umbrella Points and it’s not one. The colors on the jacket are something intentional, not the result of aging.

Maybe a European version of the Umbrella Point? Many of the patented protected point bullets can be found in two or more similar versions. Here’s a Rem U.P.

Ray

Ray, I agree with randy, at first glance it looks just like the 150 gr. Umbrella Point, although, if authentic, I can’t explain the dark brown color of the lower part. There seems to be some black spots on the copper and corrosion on the emerging lead; maybe it was once cleaned with a product that oxidized the tin plating?

For what it’s worth, this loading was announced by Remington Arms-Union Metallic Cartridge Co. in 1913 and was to be on the market about September 1st. It was first listed in the 1915-16 catalogue and last listed in the 1918-19 edition. By 1920, it was considered to be a bullet easily deflected, innacurate and prone to cause feeding problems in the Model 1895, and thus dropped in favour of the then new Bronze Point Expanding.

Regards,

Fede

1918-19 Catalogue:

Early ad from November, 1913:

Yes, Fede…

A bullet that was extensively advertised and praised upon it’s introduction but within a few years was dropped from production for exactly the reasons you mention…looks cool and gives we collectors more to collect but suffered from inadequate testing before being introduced to the market…

Randy

One bad habit of the Umbrella Point bullet was the cap sometimes fell off in the rifle’s magazine, or even worse, in the barrel ahead of the bullet when the cartridge was chambered. The two points of extruded lead core were not enough to lock the cap in place. The WRA Co Protected Point Expanding bullet was a big improvement over the Umbrella Point, securing the cap with three extrusions plus three fingers which were inserted inside the jacket.

For now, I’ll catalog the bullet as a question mark, leaning toward a variation of the Rem-Umc Umbrella Point.

Ray