Bullet ID

Looks like someone took a rimfire case and made a jacketed bullet?

Certainly a possibility as this was done during WW2 with .22 caliber CF bullets made by Sisk and others

Missing photos from the above thread-

A friend of mine sent me this picture and I don’t have any measurements.
Looks to be around 40 cal.
I don’t think Sisk made any bullets this big.

Raised H
Would be early rimfire.

It was found by Fort Robinson
Chadron, Nebraska.

Looking at the enlarged photo of the bullet jacket, to me it appears to be made from a heavier gauge of metal than you would expect to find with a rimfire case.

Did Winchester ever mark the enclosed base of bullets with an H?

Brian

Aren’t these normal “headstamps” as some manufacturers applied to their bullets?

Corbin has made bullet swaging equipmet for quite a number of years, and you can get dies for nearly any caliber you want to make.

www.corbins.com/kits.htm

Alex,

Yes it could be but my limited information on the subject shows no “H” bottom marked bullets and do to where it was found said bullet was probably made by a US manufacturer.

Brian

Brian, of course I was not questioning the factory / country ID.

Probably not the same time period, but not an impossibility.

In my collection, I have two bullets, both the same, made from CF .40 S&W cases, one a “WINCHESTER 40 S&W” headstamp and the other a CBC, Brazilian-made “Independence” case. They are hollow-point bullets with a small amount of lead at the very tip of them. Both have a knurled crimping groove on them at a proportionately-proper position on the bullet. They are not simply remnant case cannelures, as neither of the original cases had any cannelures.

I don’t know what kind of cartridge they were mean’t for at that weight and diameter, but they are well-formed bullets, although odd locking, since they still contain their snapped primer cups and the full rim and extractor groove of a normal case. Measurements are as follows (measurements are nominal, taken only once at one position on the case):

Bullet Diameter: 0.428"
Bullet OAL: 0.853"
Bullet Weight, Winchester headstamp: 2.48.5 grains
Bullet Weight “I” headstamp: 250.9 grains

Just shows that even in very current times (both headstamps are, in the overall scope of ammunition, quite current), not in times of great shortages, bullets have been made from a variety of cartridge cases. I suspect these belonging to me, were made for some older large caliber rifle. If for a cartridge for which factory-made bullets were available, I think the effort gone to for making these would be rather senseless.

I don’t collect these for their intended use, but simply as an interesting oddity with my .40 S&W collection because of the totally clear headstamps.

I suspect Krag56’s bullet was also made for reloading cartridges that have projectiles no longer available from any bullet maker.

If anyone knows who made my bullets, and for what caliber/case type firearm, I would love to know just for the record.

Edited to rephrase the headstamp of the CBC-made case, as although the forum showed it correctly the second time I entered the actual form of the headstamp, on the first time, it turned the same combination of stars and a letter into a combination of meaningless symbols. ???

John Moss

John, it might alsso be possible that someone is making their own bullets because either they do not have enough money to buy factory bullets, as well as a specific weight/daimeter, or, it could also be that there is a registration implemented on purchase of not only loaded ammunition but also on reloading componenets, (California comes to mind…].
I know a gent who has for many years been using a Corbin press to make bullets out of brass cartridges for a number of calibers, from .17 to .50, primarily hunting rounds.

Badger - very possibly true. I likely should not have made the statement “making these would be rather senseless.” It is absolutely true that there are are more reasons for making bullets out of “substitute materials,” even cartridge cases, than obsolescence of the the projectiles needed to keep some nice old firearm on the firing line. I actually knew a chap with bullet-making tools costing more than the retail price of the bullets he made on them, simply because he enjoyed the process. This chap, financially, didn’t even need to use reloads!

Thanks for the additional thoughts on why mine could have been made.

John

Even commercial ventures used cases to make projectile jackets out of them.

Here Tekhkrim of Russia in their 9.3x38 .366 TKM. They used .380 ME Gum revolver cases.
Source: internet.
366%20TKM_with%20proj%20jacket%20made%20from%20(Tekhkrim%20380%20ME%20GUM)%20brass%20case_Russia--

366%20TKM_with%20proj%20jacket%20made%20from%20(Tekhkrim%20380%20ME%20GUM)%20brass%20case_Russia--------

1 Like