Bullet identification - is there a guide out there?

Anyone know where I can come up with a guide to properly ID bullets in the cartridges I have?
Abbreviations for bullets??

Some of the bullets are tinned, copper, pointed/round now, etc and I am looking for the correct way to ID them for the catalog I am creating.

Is there a fairly complete PDF or other file available that someone could send me or post?

Thanks,

Tom (3D)

Tom–I am not quite clear what exactly you are asking for. Do you want the names given by the manufacturers for their particler bullets? Or do you want a more general list of the shapes and materials?

What I am looking for are the abbreviations used to described bullets such as FMJ, JSB, etc.
The proper way to identify the bullet type…such as a bullet with a tinned jacket and a soft point.

I think this will do the trick: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet#Bullet_abbreviations

ACC – Remington Accelerator [5] (see sabot)
AP – Armor Piercing (has a steel or other hard metal core)
APFSDS – Armor-piercing Fin Stabilized Discarding Sabot round
BBWC – Bevel Base Wadcutter
BEB – Brass Enclosed Base
BJHP – Brass Jacketed Hollow Point
Blitz – Sierra BlitzKing
Bt – Boat-tail
BtHP – Boat-tail Hollow Point
CB – Cast Bullet
CL, C-L – Remington Core-Lokt
CTFB – Closed Tip Flat Base
DEWC – Double Ended Wadcutter
DU – Depleted Uranium
EVO, FTX – Hornady LEVERevolution Flex Tip eXpanding
EVO – RWS Evolution bullet [6]
FMC – Full Metal Case
FMJ – Full Metal Jacket
FMJBT – Full Metal Jacket Boat-Tail
FN – Dangerous Game Solid Bullets Flat Nose
FP – Flat Point
FST – Winchester Fail Safe Talon
GC – Gas Check
GD – Speer Gold Dot
GDHP – Speer Gold Dot Hollow Point
GS – Remington Golden Saber
GSC – GS Custom Turned Copper Bullets
HBWC – Hollow Base Wadcutter
HC – Hard Cast
HP – Hollow Point
HPJ – High Performance Jacketed
HS – Federal Hydra-Shok
HST – Federal Hi-Shok Two
HV – Low friction Drive Band Bullets High Velocity
ID-Classic – RWS fragmentation bullet, ex-TIG after Brenneke-license was not renewed. [7]
J – Jacketed
JFP – Jacketed Flat Point
JHC – Jacketed Hollow Cavity
JHP – Jacketed Hollow Point
JHP/sabot – Jacketed Hollow Point/sabot
JSP – Jacketed Soft Point
L – Lead
L-C – Lead Combat
L-T – Lead Target
LFN – Long Flat Nose
LFP – Lead Flat Point
LHP – Lead Hollow Point
LRN – Lead Round Nose
LSWC – Lead Semiwadcutter
LSWC-GC – Lead Semiwadcutter Gas Checked
LWC – Lead Wadcutter
LTC – Lead Truncated Cone
MC – Metal Cased
MHP – Match Hollow Point
MK – Sierra MatchKing
MRWC – Mid-Range Wadcutter
NP – Nosler Partition
OTM – Open Tip Match
OWC – Ogival Wadcutter [8]
PB – Lead Bullet
PB – Parabellum
PL – Remington Power-Lokt
PSP – Plated Soft Point
PSP, PTDSP – Pointed Soft Point
RN – Round Nose
RNFP – Round Nose Flat Point
RNL – Round Nosed Lead
SJ – Semi-Jacketed
SJHP – Semi-Jacketed Hollow Point
SJSP – Semi-Jacketed Soft Point
SP – Soft Point
SP – Spire Point
Sp,SPTZ – Spitzer
SpHP – Spitzer Hollow Point
SST – Hornady Super Shock Tip
SSp – Semi-Spitzer
ST – Silver Tip
STHP – Silver Tip Hollow Point
SWC – Semiwadcutter
SX – Super Explosive
SXT – Winchester Ranger Supreme Expansion Technology
TAG – Brenneke lead-free bullet (German: Torpedo Alternativ-Geschoß)[9]
TC – Truncated Cone
THV – Terminal High Velocity
TIG – Brenneke fragmentation bullet (German: Torpedo Ideal-Geschoß)[10]
TMJ – Total Metal Jacket
TNT – Speer TNT
TUG – Brenneke deformation bullet (German: Torpedo Universal-Geschoß)[11]
TOG – Brenneke deformation bullet (German: Torpedo Optimal-Geschoß)[12]
UNI-Classic – RWS deformation bullet, ex-TUG after Brenneke-license was not renewed. [13]
VMAX – Hornady V-Max
VLD – Very Low Drag
WC – Wadcutter
WFN – Wide Flat Nose
WFNGC – Wide Flat Nose Gas Check
WLN – Wide Long Nose
X – Barnes X-Bullet
XTP – Hornady Extreme Terminal Performance

Among probably others, that list doesn’t include some of the abbreviations that collectors use the most - identification of bullet jacket materials:

CN - Cupronickel
CNCS - cupronickel-clad steel
GM - Gilding Metal
GMCS - Gilding Metal-clad steel
APT - Armor-piercing tracer
API - Armor piercing Incendiary

There are undoubtedly many more that are missing from the list. For example, on early boxess, “FP” stands for “Full Patch,” not necessarily “flat point.” “Pb” would be better for lead, to avoid confusion with “PB” for “Parabellum,” which is more often abbreviated “Para” or "Parab."anyway.

Again, probably many more but I can’t think of them - too early in the morning here.

To add:
I-T incendiary-tracer
T tracer
HE-IT high explosive incendiary tracer
B ball
P practice, proof

Unless I missed it somewhere above, PPL for Paper Patched Lead…

Randy

HPBT Hollow Point Boat Tail
and THV means Tres Haut Vitesse (non?)

Soren

Thats quite a list and very impressive. The only one I can add to that , and its hardly earth shattering is DBBWC which is double bevel based wadcutter in the style of the Magma Corp cast wad cutters which are double ended.

“BB” anything cast , RN, TC etc because Magma corp favour BB cast bullets and they are now the No 1 maker of bullet casting machinery. Other manufacturers appear to have dropped away without their passing even having been marked. Sad and a bit remiss for this forum who should at least have marked their passing.Twenty odd years ago there were quite a few people making commercial bullet casting equipment who have simply dropped off the radar.

Magma Engineering are in Queens Creek Arizona and I have asked before if any of the local members could do a factory visit and write a small report.

Another expression which has a number of different meanings but with my British Big Game hat on for a moment is “solid” it can mean many things but FMJ will suffice for most.

Vince–While “Solid” in British usage generally means “FMJ”, it is not the same in the U.S. where a FMJ is seldom called a “Solid”. The term “Solid”, at least as used by U.M.C. was reserved to differentiate a “Solid Lead Bullet” from a “Copper Tubed Express Bullet” in those calibers that were loaded with both bullets, such as the .50-115 Bullard Express and the .50-115 Bullard Solid Ball.

This list of abbreviations for bullet types could go a long way in trying to standardize descriptions. I know I am going to go through my 15,000+ catalog of my collection on Excel and revamp my usage which has not always been consistent over the years for the same bullet type.

I can add a few more to the list.

MP–Metal Point (Only the front half of the bullet is covered)
BrPT–Bronze Point
PnPT–Pneumatic Point
UmbPT–Umbrella Point

I’m sure there a lot more propriety bullet types that haven’t been listed, like the Winchester’s Talon. Many of these may not have “Official” abbreviations. I suggest we all go through the catalogs and see what the manufactures have used as abbreviations over the years.

I think this would make a good article for the IAA Homepage or even the Journal. For either of those uses we should really illustrate each type with either a cut from a catalog or an actual picture. Where available, a sectioned bullet to show the internal construction would add a lot.

I’m willing to compile the information and illustrations into such an article, but I would need help with the images. I can handle U.M.C. and Remington. If everybody would send me what images they have, especially sectioned bullets, I’ll get started. Scans should be at least 150dpi Color (even if the catalog page is B&W). Send any images (with ID) to my email below.

There are numerous varieties of frangible bullets in use, yet, I don’t think I have seen any of them given an abbreviation such as PSP, FMJ, etc.

Dennis–I agree, for most of the propriety bullet types there may not be an “Official” abbreviation, but that doesn’t mean we collectors can’t come up with a sensible one. For Frangibles, I suggest “Fr” followed by the general shape, such as “FrRN”, “FrTC” (Truncated); “FrFN”, etc. But, before we make up an abbreviation we should look in the catalogs (especially the ballistics lists where space is limited) to see if the manufacture has used an abbreviation.

There is also:
JAP = Jacketed Aluminium Point

Great info, thanks!
We need to put together a file that we can modify as needed and post it on the IAA site.
I have edited the WIKI info to show the added abbreviations that you have come up with for the list.
Feel free to add more yourselves.
Tom

Threedflyer–Did you read my post a few posts ago??? I said:

[b][color=#0000FF]I think this would make a good article for the IAA Homepage or even the Journal. For either of those uses we should really illustrate each type with either a cut from a catalog or an actual picture. Where available, a sectioned bullet to show the internal construction would add a lot.[/color]

[color=#FF0000]I’m willing to compile the information[/color] (The volunteer you asked for) [color=#0000FF]and illustrations into such an article, but I would need help with the images. I can handle U.M.C. and Remington. If everybody would send me what images they have, especially sectioned bullets, I’ll get started. Scans should be at least 150dpi Color (even if the catalog page is B&W). Send any images (with ID) to my email below.[/color][/b]

Thanks Ron for taking this on!
I agree, this could be perfect for perfect for the home page AND the journal.

I wonder if Paul Smith could help with the sections you need???
I will ping him on this.

Tom

Tom–What we need for sections is JUST the bullet, not complete rounds. Where available, line drawings from the catalogs showing the inside construction might more clearly show details of the construction than a photo.

So, everybody, start digging out those old catalogs, especially non-US catalogs.

Perhaps, some illustrations could be made, if needed…as sometimes the catalog art isn’t the greatest…

Randy

Randy–Are you volunteering? Personally I can’t even trace a picture let alone draw one. I would be glad to have someone make line drawings from catalog images or from scans or photos of sectioned bullets. It would be nice to have a consistent format instead of a miss-mash of image types. Any one willing to do this?