Bullet identification

I have no idea what the headstamp means, or what the bullet actually is.

LowComposure - it would be helpful in identifying this key-chain cartridge and its headstamp if we had a photo of the headstamp, or at least a typed version. Also, in using a rule within the picture, which is a perfectly good thing to do, it would be helpful if you aligned the head (bottom) of the case with any or the full width lines separated each 10 mm.

From the look, and the best calculation I can do, it appears to be a 7.9 x 57 mm cartridge (Note: “Bullet” is only the projectile. The “cartridge” is the term defining all of the components (case, projectile, primer and powder) that make up the cartridge. Some dummy and other special purpose loads may be not have any one of those components except the case, but any case assembled or loaded is considered a cartridge. That would include, for example, a cartridge case assembled only with a bullet, and no primer or powder, as a dummy cartridge, or a blank round with case, primer and powder, but no bullet.

Thanks for posting the picture. It is beautiful photography. I used to collect the 7.9 x 57 mm and if I am correct as to the caliber of this key-chain cartridge, I never saw one like it before.

John Moss

made alt account because of the “account is being reviewed”

Case made March 1915 by state-owned Munitionsfabrik at Spandau. The other S identified the case as made for the sharp nosed S bullet adopted in 1903. It has a larger neck diameter compared to cases for the previous round nosed bullet 88.

Thank you, do you know where this could be sold or it’s worth?

This single round cost in Europe on ammunition shows about $1,00

Rgds

The case looks completely polished and the bullet seems plated afterwards. What colour is the bullet? Does this come out of a souvenir-shop? Do not misunderstand me: there’ s nothing wrong with such a refurbished cartridge. But most of the time, they are far too expensive, pretending they come out of some famous battleground.

I found it in an old box that came from grandmothers, it was dull at the time. The case is brass (shiny yellow, was dull yellow) and the bullet is a silvery mirror colour after polishing.

I also added the keyring.

Here is the round, not so shiny. -:)
Btw, it could be your primer is still life!

That’s what it looked like before yeah, is that yours??

Dutch is THE authority on variations of the German 7.9 mm military cartridge, based on a BIG, painstakingly documented collection.

I hate to say it LowComposure2 but by polishing it and fitting it with the key ring it now has even less value than before when it was dirty but still in original condition.

Yeah I realised that after, I have 3 more of the same with no keyring.

Well at least you didn’t do it with an only-known round.
live & learn and with a common round so no harm no foul.
Just don’t put your keys on it when you visit the airport!