Bullets for conical barrels

here are drawings of bullets designed to be shot in conical barrels

jp

Hi JP,

This drawing is from Woldemar (or Waldemar) Born, of Stuttgart, Germany. I have a copy of the US patent 2,288,604 (filed 1939 March 21 and granted 1942 July 07).

I also have this projectile which I believe to be an example of his projectile. It is 12mm in diameter and 37mm in length.

Regards,

Paul

Wow Paul! That is one unbelievable bullet!
Thank you for posting these photos!

-Dave

I assume that “conical barrels” would be similar to what is often called a “squeeze bore” where the bore is steadily reduced from breech to muzzle?

[quote=“PaulSmith”]Hi JP,

This drawing is from Woldemar (or Waldemar) Born, of Stuttgart, Germany. I have a copy of the US patent 2,288,604 (filed 1939 March 21 and granted 1942 July 07).

Regards,

Paul[/quote]

Hello Paul

In fact it is DWM

JP

JP sent me a copy of the DWM patent. It is identical to the patent I have issued to Born. Can we assume that Born assigned the patent to DWM who was the actual manufacturer?

John - yes, the term conical bore and squeeze bore are used interchangeably. Swaging of the projectile was usually done in stages or over one small section in the bore (or in the case of the Janecek design at the muzzle by a replaceable adaptor). I suppose it depends on the total amount of deformation required.

Paul

hello Paul

1. Your US 2288604 patent isn’t dated from July 7 1942 ??

Therefore I assume it is the opposite
made by DWM and patented in the US under the name of waldemar.

1. Because also in Switzerland and Belgian it is also patented under DWM name

jP

Hi JP,

Below the title of the US Patent application it reads:

“Application March 21, 1939, Serial No. 263,256 In Germany September 28, 1935”

This pre-dates the DWM patent dates.

This is the trouble; so many different dates depending on the country for which the patent has been applied/granted for.

Regards,
Paul

hello Paul,

1. here is the french (March 28 1939) , the belgian (March (27 1939) and the swiss (March 26 1939) patents
    All of them bear the name DWM

1. Here are the two US patents 21 March 1939 and January 4 1941 with the name Waldemar Born.

1. I think the numbers 263256 and 373181 are the US application numbers.

“In Germany September 28 1935” is another sentence, in both cases.

Therefore it doesn’t predate the DWM patent date.

I think they didn’t patented under the name DWM for commercial or military reasons

1. I have tried to find the german patent but till now no result

JP
Ps : i send you the different patents by email

Could it be U.S. law required naming an inventor?

The U.S. patent on the S bullet (US 841861) was granted to Arthur Gleinich (although as “assignor to” DWM), while the German patent is simply granted to DWM and does not mention Gleinich at all. Naming the actual inventor (not just the company applying for a patent) in Germany only became mandatory by the patent law of 1936.

PLEASE ALLOW ME A QUESTION - ARE THERE EXAMPLES OF THESE BULLETS ACTUALLY LOADED INTO CARTRIDGE CASES? - AND IF SO CAN SOMEONE POST PICTURES ON THE FORUM?

JPeelen - a good question. From the copy of the patent I have, Born is listed as the inventor.

Regards,
Paul