Bunter defect in FC .308 Win

May someone desribe what is happening in this progression? Is it a dirty bunter, is something falling onto production line or something else is going on? The defects are difficult to see in the second scan but each headstamp has it and in different placements.

Vlad

Fired cases or new brass?

Ray

looks like fired and material flow into the extractor aperture.
Bunter would damage always the same point.

I think they are fired, too many dings on them.

I agree with genkideskan. I can’t say what rifle would leave marks like those. Maybe other shooters will know. Most US rifles, such as the Rem 700 and Win 70 will leave a circle.

Ray

Ray
Possibly a CRF with a blade ejector? IE a Mauser or pre-64 Winnie type bolt?

[quote=“Tailgunner”]Ray
Possibly a CRF with a blade ejector? IE a Mauser or pre-64 Winnie type bolt?[/quote]

I would think that it is a self-loader of some kind. I don’t think that you could get such a hard mark from the blade ejector on a bolt-action gun, unless you are in a real hurry.

gravelbelly

Typical ejector mark of FN FAL/L1A1 type rifle;( also some other tilt-block semis) Pressures must be high for Bolt to slam back that hard to cause such prominent ejector marks ( ie, gas relief regulator closed too far down).

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

[quote=“DocAV”]Typical ejector mark of FN FAL/L1A1 type rifle;( also some other tilt-block semis) Pressures must be high for Bolt to slam back that hard to cause such prominent ejector marks ( ie, gas relief regulator closed too far down).

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.[/quote]

I would expect the inside of the rim to bear a mark from the extractor on the opposite side as well.

gravelbelly

You are right, the rim has a corresponding slight depression but only at the site of imperfection itself.