Bunter question

There appears to be a shift in bunter between these 2 cartridges. I admit I’ve never seen a bunter and a bit confused how it works. Is it like an old printing system when one can insert any letters one by one? I don’t know how to explain the shift I see in the photo. Would anyone have a photo of a bunter?

A possible explanation would be that the headstamp was applied in two separate operations. One that applied the 21 and F N, another that applied the 1 and 28 (which could be in any position depending on how the case was inserted).

The FN 21 cases, 6,5x53R M95 Patroon Scherpe No.1, were regularly reloaded by the Dutch Gov’t. The second set of dates and Lot Nos. is the reloading date.

After WW I, FN supplied the netherlands with several years contract supply of ammunition ( 1921, 22 etc.)

Much FN22 is found with late 1930s reload dates and has been sou7rced from the KNIL ( Dutch East Indies Army).

Mostly, after the reload has been used, the cases were relegated to Blank loads (“x” or “o” mark added to headstamp).

regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics

Vlad

A headstamp (and primer pocket swage) bunter is a hardened steel die on which the desired letters and/or numbers have been engraved in reverse. Much like the dies used to make coins. In olden days they required the talents of a skilled die-maker and were expensive to make. Now-a-days, many are made using modern computer driven machinery.

Plants making millions of cases for a particular cartridge will have several bunters with the identical headstamp. They are replaced when broken or worn. At times, the broken ones escape inspection and result in incorrect or unusual headstamps (just like in coins) which is good for collectors.

Here’s a LC 00 +

Ray