Butts are ammunition too

DON’T BLAME ME.

IT IS OFFICIAL.

WRITE YOUR OWN JOKES.

Any of you B52 vets familiar with this ?

Those boxes are for a B-17 (?)
Soren

I think so but no B17 vets have shown up.

Interesting! I wonder if the term “Load” refers to the orientation these boxes are put in the aircraft and not “Load” as how the ammunition rounds are manufactured? That the “BUTT” refers to a particular side of the box or perhaps the orientation of the roads of ammunition with the “Butt” meaning the head-stamp base??? Just guessing as I have no idea :-) I checked my B-17, B52 and other “B” WW2 aircraft manuals and none show or refer to these ammunition boxes with that verbage. Really cool photos!

Jason
PS: Also INB.D may also mean an orientation on how the boxes are loaded in the plane? Short for inboard?

I am fairly sure that is correct. This looks like a U.S. box and loading the ammo that way certainly makes sense but I have never seen this label in any other photo or the mention of it in any manual or protocol.

I doubt if you are going to find any B17 crewmen to comment on this, but you never know.

I’m good at making WAGs so here’s mine. It requires engaging my military mind.

I think Jason is on to it. The tail gun position was very cramped, with no room to spare. I think the stencil says that no more than 500 rounds can be accomodated in the space available and that the box has to be oriented in a certain way. Once in place there would be no way to re-position the box and if it happened to be facing the wrong way the tail gunner would be S.O.L.

The USAF way of saying, "THIS END UP.

That’s my SWAG for today. Only one a day. More than that hurts my head.

Ray

What is SWAG . I know SWAK - sealed with a kiss. SWAG - sealed with a grunt ?

WAG = Wild A$$ Guess

SWAG = Simple Wild A$$ Guess

SWAG can also mean Scientific Wild A$$ Guess if you are a professional swagger.

There are USN versions of that box stencil. As a Gunners Mate my job was to ensure a smooth loading operation. Every so often, the projectile man would grab the projectile by the wrong end and drop it into the loading tray backwards. Easily corrected. But, the next time we are firing, he may find a sign on the top of the projectile hoist saying, POINTY END FIRST!

or for laying grass sod - GREEN SIDE UP

[quote=“RayMeketa”]I doubt if you are going to find any B17 crewmen to comment on this, but you never know.

I’m good at making WAGs so here’s mine. It requires engaging my military mind.

I think Jason is on to it. The tail gun position was very cramped, with no room to spare. I think the stencil says that no more than 500 rounds can be accomodated in the space available and that the box has to be oriented in a certain way. Once in place there would be no way to re-position the box and if it happened to be facing the wrong way the tail gunner would be S.O.L.

The USAF way of saying, "THIS END UP.

That’s my SWAG for today. Only one a day. More than that hurts my head.

Ray[/quote]
That hits me exactly the same way. Its strange to think life or death could be dependent on which way a box gets loaded. How fragile is that?

We are planning a trip to Auschwitz next year. Our family has Jewish roots although we are not Jewish. My 16 year old son is keen to go. I have been to battlefields all over the world, never had a moments twinge. But that place fills me with dread. Even the thought of it.
The lives of fine young men killed in WW2 is starting to get to me. I have been to the cemetries in Normandy, The big American cemetry at Epinal in France. Cambridge here in the UK . Plus so many British cemetries. The kids are the same age as my oldest son. It really does make you sick inside. at one time I could wander round and read the stones. Not now.

I understand that. I have given away my archive of films about the death camps. I used to watch them once a year to remember what men are really like .

I can’t watch them any more. I got the message.