C.i.a.?

Are this box of 303 produced for the “real” C.I.A.?? or what?
Thanks

No, this is Pakistani ammo, but I don’t remember what “C.I.A.” means.

The “CIA” does refer to an an official government body, but NOT the same one over in Langley ;-)

This CIA abbeviation on the Pakistani box is “Chief Inspector of Armaments”

The C^ stamp identifies this ammo as Canadian and the CIA stamp as stated above has nothing to do with the “company”.

m89,

Do you know what the headstamp is for the cartridges in this box?

Thanks,

Brian

I agree with Orange the C with broad arrow signifys Canadian Government Ownership, Headstamp will tell us which Manufacturer.

sites.google.com/site/britmilam … des/canada

Rich.

IIRC the hs will be DAC^ VII 1941 to 1944. Mark designation changed to 7 in 1945. Other Cdn maker DI loaded VIIz ammo not VII.

According to Tony Edwards site H-112 is 48 round Carton of .303 Ball Mark 7 Ballistic Standards MF manufactured 1958.

Rich

Rich,

I haven’t looked at Tony Edwards site for this, but I would guess the MF label would have been a normal Ball Mk 7 box, overstamped with “Standard”, please correct me if I’m wrong.

The H-112 is the number of the label type. This one identifies the contents as being 48 Cartridges .303 Inch Ball Mk. 7.
Specific instructions were issued which specified all the labelling requirements for packing of SAA. The labels were identified by a number, so it was a simple matter to ask the printers for 1000 labels number ???. In many cases the same label type and number was used in various countries in an effort to standardise. I haven’t studied the date this method was introduced but it was around the beginning of WW2, or earlier, and seemed to phase out in the early 50s, when other cheaper in house labelling methods were introduced.

Some other label numbers are:
H 355 48 Cartridges .303 Inch G Mk. 2 (Tracer)
H 255 48 Cartridges .303 inch Proof Q Mk. 3
H 953 48 Cartridges Special Quality for RAF .303 inch Ball Mk. 7
H 1003 12 Cartridges .380 Inch Ball Mk 2

You will find identical label types with different factory designators on them.

Cheers

John

bdgreen

I havn’t seen the the headstamp, the box is closed. Should I open it?

It’s really your call, however, it could identify the manufacturer.
I wouldn’t ask anyone to open a sealed packet unless they were comfortable to do so.

m89,

Like John said, it is your call whether or not to open the box.

Some people want sealed boxes especially when it comes to older, scarce, unusual or no longer manufactured items.

Personally in situations like this I carefully cut the label so as to preserve the information it contains and open the box to see the cartridges and headstamp (I also take a picture of the box label before opening). If you are “into” getting information on the cartridge contained in a box, then opening the box and observing the contents and headstamp is important.

Brian

I will open the box to check the headstamp, later I will post a picture of the headstamp

Here is a picture of the headstamp:

Good call Orange. :)