Ca. 17mm 1823 incendiary projectile

In the Swedish digital museum I came across this odd projectile.
Described as an incendiary projectile for rifles. No caliber given but as per the scale it is something around 17mm.
Not much info there as usual but what they said was:
1823 (date of invention/production/testing)
The name “Sandberg” is given as the inventor.
Basically this appears to be what is written on the side of the cardboard hull (containing the incendiary I assume).

Does anybody know more about?

Haven’t seen before, but it looks like some of the later balloon projectiles - would that be too early for them?

Here’s my uneducated WAG. If in fact it is incendiary, with that barbed point and the 1823 date, I am guessing for Naval use. Would easily penetrate sail cloth and hang on long enough to get the sails burning. Bar shot and chain shot were used for taking out rigging why not this?

Jeff, I hoped your experts on ancient ammo could clarify it all.

Sportclay, I do not think so as the sails would be just pierced and the projectile would end up on the bottom of the sea. To engage enemy sails they had quite well working projectiles for the muzzle loading guns. And back then also incendiary projectiles for artillery were used.
I rather go for it having a better grip in wooden constructions and other combustible material.
But as said, the experts may clarify.

I don’t have details about how it was used, but it was designed by Jacob Georg Sandberg, a captain of the Svea Artillery Regiment. He also designed prototypes of breech-loading pistols, rifles, wall guns and mortars.

Fede, thanks! Is there a patent on this one existing or is this too early?

Not that I know of. He also published a book about small arms, but I don’t have a copy.