"CADS" (Cartridge Activated DeviceS) (photos)

CADS…the abbreviation

Pepper,

Your .38 Special with the blunt cylindrical bullet/slug on the right in your top photo appears to be a .38 “Cluster Adapter Cartridge,” as explained and shown in section in Hackley, Woodin, and Scranton’s History of Modern U.S. Military Small Arms Ammunition, Vol. II: 1940-1945, page 7. A cluster of small bombs were connected by steel cables running through a central “barrel” with a chamber and delay-firing mechanism and this round at one end. After being released from an aircraft, the cartridge was fired and the steel slug cut through the cables as it traveled through the barrel, releasing the individual bombs.

Part III of the book also has a section on some other “special purpose” ammunition.

Those are just amazing Pepper! I like the red one in the 1st pic, looks complicated. The sectioned ones are so well done.

Jason

Fire extinguishers in the UK used to use a cartridge made by Kynoch. I have seen some of these, but I can’t remember exactly what they look like.

These are very often a problem. I have a 240 page US manual available on CD which shows many of these. One problem is that some were made in standard revolver caliber cases but are way too hot to touch off in a revolver with impunity.

Since there seems to be so much interest in this subject here the regarding manual:

depositfiles.com/files/srnvvt5v2

Nice…239 pages of “cool” (I date mysefl) descriptions like…emergency escape systems…detonating cord…linear explosive assembly…canopy severance…guillotine cartridge…drogue…I think if you fire enough of these critters you can disassemble a helicopter !

My kind of reading (kinda sad eh ?)

thanks…several of my “gizmos” just got names & numbers !

Pepper, good to hear!

In fact you are right, almost every single one will separate a part from a chopper - almost down to it’s airframe :)
I would be curious to see all that filmed on a grounded chopper and see what will remain/happen.

[quote=“EOD”]Pepper, good to hear!

In fact you are right, almost every single one will separate a part from a chopper - almost down to it’s airframe :)
I would be curious to see all that filmed on a grounded chopper and see what will remain/happen.[/quote]

WE JUST KEEP REINVENTING THE WHEEL.

Very interesting, in particular the date. This one will be a more radical solution.