Cal .30 (30-06) Unusual Cartridges

And now for something different - and a couple of questions.

Left to right:

FAL 43 - Frankford Arsenal Laboratory, Aluminum case, Empty, No primer, M2 bullet jacket without a core. What is it??

FA 37 - Cadmium-plated brass case, M2 GMCS bullet. What is it??

FA 39 - Tin plated brass case, Stannic stained M2 bullet. For “extraction tests” or ??

SL 43 - M2 “Jetalized” bullet. Result of tests??

FA 54 - M2 AP bullet, completely coated with teflon. Result of tests??

Ray, how do you know it is cadmium?

Okay Vlad, you caught me. I was told it was cadmium. HWS I mentions this particular cartridge but offers no explanation for it’s purpose. I was hoping maybe someone knew what it was meant to accomplish.

Ray

[quote=“RayMeketa”]And now for something different - and a couple of questions.

Left to right:

FAL 43 - Frankford Arsenal Laboratory, Aluminum case, Empty, No primer, M2 bullet jacket without a core. What is it??

Are you sure this is a aluminum case ? I have similar steel case versions.
Could be a M40 dummy. Pls see Punnett page 215.
If it is aluminum, it is a very nice one.

FA 37 - Cadmium-plated brass case, M2 GMCS bullet. What is it??

I think I have read a comment somewhere that these were for extrusion test.
(you know, of course) the H/S is 37 but the GMCS bullet was not in place till 1942,
so the cartridge must be loaded later than 1937

FA 39 - Tin plated brass case, Stannic stained M2 bullet. For “extraction tests” or ??

Don’t know, interesting item

SL 43 - M2 “Jetalized” bullet. Result of tests??

Not 100% sure what you mean but I would put it under test since it never went into mass production.

FA 54 - M2 AP bullet, completely coated with teflon. Result of tests??

Again, I would put it under test. I have a box and it is marked with FAX-30 lotnumber.

[/quote]

Regards from the beach. No 41NM’s have turned up yet
René

Hi Rene

Thanks for your input.

The FAL 43 case is definitely aluminum. The total weight is only 215 grains. By inserting a probe through the flash-hole I can feel where it goes all the way to near the tip of the “bullet”, indicating to me that it is nothing but an empty jacket.

The cadmium plated cartridge is exactly as you and HWS describe it. But, no explanation of it’s intended purpose. My first guess would be to test corrosion resistance but why would they do that with a brass case?

On the Jetalized and Teflon cartridges, I was hoping maybe someone knew of a report, or reports, decribing the results and conclusions of the tests. It seems there is always a report written at some point but I’ve never seen one on these two cartridges.

That’s a nice box. The first time I’ve seen one.

If you don’t find a 41 NM case on the beach, I think the next place you should look is in the Aleutians. What better place to have an entire lot of cartridges disappear? There are tons of equipment still buried there including, maybe, a case or two of FA 41 NM. ;-)

Ray

Ray, is the case of your Teflon coated round made of steel?

Fede- Yes, steel. As indicated on the box shown by Rene. The only two places it is not magnetic is the very tip of the AP bullet, and the primer which is brass.

Ray

Ray, I don’t have a report but I can send you a copy of the patent describing this invention, if you are interested. Regards, Fede.

Fede - yes, that would be interesting. I did not know that you could patent a process that simply applies a coating such as teflon.

To save you some time and trouble, maybe you can post a link instead?

Ray

Ray, here it is: sendspace.com/file/ta85re

Thanks Fede

Ray

I made a major error. On the FAL 43 empty case - I had not looked at it for several years and was referring to my notes when I described it, above. I said the total weight was 215 grains, and that got me to worrying. An aluminum case should not weigh that much, even with an M2 jacket seated in it. So, this morning, I dug it out and, sure enough, it is steel.

My apolgies to you who were interested enough to read my post and make a comment.

Never say “never”, always avoid the use of the word “always”,and now a new one, definitely do not use the word “definitely”.

Ray

That’s too bad, an aluminum FAL 43 case would have been very interesting.
Latest aluminum FA I have is from 1937

René

Rene

Yes, I went from riches to rags in the blink of an eye.

I’m now thinking that maybe this cartridge is a dingbat.

Ray

Ray
most all the FAL steel cases I’ve seen had a blackened finish, however I’ve seen some like yours & think they either had the finish either removed or never installed? Look in the under rim cut to see if any traces remain. But not a dingbat.

They did make an aluminum case as I have a fired FAL 43 example.

Pete

My FAL 43 case has a dark gray dull finish over the entire exterior. So, I assume it is one of the many steel-case experimentals that FA played with during '42, '43. and '44.

What I meant by “dingbat” was the bullet jacket seated in the case.

Ray

Ray,

it is not a “fake”.
Let me come back to you as soon as I am home again.

Regards from Pointe du Hoc
very impressive to see where those Ranger went up the cliffs

René

Thanks Rene. I’ll await your follow-up. I’m tempted to pull the “bullet” to see exactly what it is but I won’t do that until I hear from you.

Ray