Cal .30 ball m2, pueblo army depot

A carton that you will not see too often. Pueblo Army Depot, Colorado, was a U.S. Army ammunition storage and supply facility during WW II. After the war the Depot received large amounts of ammunition and equipment for re-processing. This carton contains mixed WW II headstamps, that had originally been linked.

Ray

Ray,

that’s a nice box ! I have the same with same lot number.

Is this something like this box ? Although this was something done in 1936 already.
I have never been able to find out anything about Benicia Arsenal.

cheers
René

I just had a look at my Pueblo box and saw that there was a note inside with all headstamps that were in the box:

D A 45
V C 45
W C C 53
U 43
T W 43
S L 52

makes me wonder when this repackaging was done

René

Dutchman - Benecia Arsenal is located near the town of Vallejo, California, somewhat northeast of San Francisco, and across the bay from that city. It is most famous around here for the Camel Barn, which is now a museum. Benecia housed some of the Camels that were used experimentally by the U.S. Army in the late 19th Century. Some don’t know that the U.S. ever had a Camel Corps, so to speak.

Today it is primarily like a park. I honestly don’t know if there is any purely military activity there anymore. It has been years since I visited the old post, and of course, our first stop was the famous Camel Barn!

On a personal note, when I purchased a M1911 .45 Pistol some fifty years ago thru the DCM, and saw from my invoice that it was being shipped out of Benecia, I went up there to pick it up hoping I could pick one out. Well, all I got was scolded by a tough old Sergeant who pointed out that the Invoice specially said to wait for shipment and not to go to the shipping point to pick it up. He gave me one anyone, and completed the paper work, but when I asked if I could pick one out, he (rightfully) laughed in my face, when in back, brought out a sealed box and gave it to me. I will never forget the last thing he said. “Open it for Christmas and be surprised.” Unfortunately, when I got home and opened it is was a WWII (or after) Augusta Arsenal rebuilt, mixed part M1911. However, it was in rebuilt new condition, and a perfectly serviceable .45, the first of many that I would own in my life.

I think I have a book I bought at the Arsenal Museum. If you have any specific questions, I will try to find an answer in there, although as I recall it was long on general history and short on any specific details about ammo production and repacking there.

The Pueblo box is great! I never saw one before. My Dad was a railroad station agent there, I think during WWI, and met my Mom there, who was teaching school in Pueblo. Don’t know if there was an arsenal there then, or not. They were married in 1918, so it may have been before the military facility was built. I know little or nothing about it.

Ray, very nice box, thanks for sharing.

These cartridges must have been repackaged between 1962 and 1974, which is the timeframe when the “Pueblo Army Depot” designation was used.

Rene

Your list of headstamps made me look at my notes, something that I should have done before typing my post. The cartridges in my carton are KW, not WW II as I had said. They are:

SL 52 - 6
SL 54 - 2
WCC 53 - 2
TW 52 - 8
TW 53 - 2.

I have a SWAG concerning the Benecia Arsenal re-pack, but it’s worth only what you paid, which is nothing.

1936 was the beginning of the end of the Cal .30 Ball M1. By the end of 1938, 15 lots of the new Ball M2 had been manufactured, in addition to the 19 lots of the stannic stained M1906 manufactured in 1937 - 38. Phasing out the M1 over a period of time would have been a natural process. Consolidating and re-packaging some of the ammunition in stock would have been one step.

Do you know the headstamps that are in that Benicia Arsenal carton? The lot number, FA 987, does tend to complicate my SWAG and make it even more wild-a** than usual…

Ray

Rene, if you google “Benicia Arsenal” you will find plenty of information on it. It was deactivated in 1963 and closed in 1964 and now is home to artists and the like as a small business community The Camel Barn, evidently, is still operated as a Museum.

I did not open all the hits for Benicia, so I don’t know if you will find what you are looking for. Their main claim to fame in WWII was that they supplied munitions for the first air raid, launched from the USS Hornet in what was the first light bomber operation off of an aircraft carrier, I think. You can find at least capsule histories of the Arsenal, for sure.

Ray,

unfortunately the box is empty. It came out of Chris P’s collection.
Chris gave me his index of all his boxes he had but there is no information about a headstamp for this box

René