Cal. .30 frangible - tip colors

Hi all,
could someone help me to understand if there is a reason why the one on the left has a different tip color? Ok, it’s made by a different producer, but other 2 as well and they have same identification color code.
First one one the left, if on the pict might be not visible, is yellow tip over a green lower lay.

2 Likes

Hi one friend have noted the yellow green for XPL T114 …
Bsrg, Dan

1 Like

Thank you Dan :+1:t3:
substantially the composition of the bullet is the same, 50/50 bakelite and lead powder, isn’t it?

Hi, i have not over elements …
so in the book from C. Punnet , i not found T114, it’s generally question of T44, T74 etc …
idem in the book Woodin, scranton …
I don’t know … i see one yellow green but without additional datas about in one pages form AFERHM Bulletin 654,( certainly one french translate from ECRA) Authors=Hickman & Koster (NL) …
654 AFERHM-13
Bsrg, Dan

Tonight I will get their weights, maybe the ratio of bakelite/lead is not exactly the same.

Next time I’ll use before search function :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I have fired both types in a M1903A3 rifle. The two types leave different residues in the rifle’s bore. One type of residue appears to be sawdust. The other appears to be much more conventional.

the frangible round T-44 was later adapted as M-22 and had a green over white tip.
The T-74 was the result of experiments done in 1945 with different powder charges.
the T-74 has a tan over green tip.
The only variance is the powder charge, the bullet is the same.
Here some boxes from my collection

3 Likes

In the late 1960s, we lived in a rural area and relied on our large vegetable garden for much of our food. We waged a constant war with woodchucks (Marmota monax spp.), a 12-to-15 lb. rodent that ate the plants we wanted for food. These loads killed large woodchucks very effectively without much noise. The supply of collectibles was much reduced.