Cal. .30 (Krag) Ammunition Crate Marking

Hi, All…

The marking shown here appears on Cal. .30 (Krag) crates, circa 1902.
A crate in my collection exhibits this marking, as do several pictured in the Pitman Notes.
Does anyone know or want to venture a guess as to the meaning ?

Thanks !!

Randy

Guess- Ball ammunition?

What did I win?

John…

My crate is for Ball Cartridges, however, pictured in the Pitman Notes are several Krag crates, some of which are too dark on the end where the marking is located to know for certain it is there, but it is present on crates for Dummy and Gallery cartridges. Sooooo…The marking signifying Ball Cartridges only would seem to be moot…Good guess though…

I though it might be some sort of early Ordnance Department marking, like an acceptance mark or some such…

It reminds me of the markings on ammunition cans of the WW2 era that signify cartridges packed in 8-round clips, but this mark seems to have no relation to how the cartridges are packed, which in this case is in 20-round cartons…

Randy

I don’t recall seeing this mark on either the blank or ball crates in my collection, but perhaps they were overlooked.
Since Krags were still in use to a limited extent during WW1, it is possible these are markings from that period, perhaps to identify .30 Model 1898 from .30 Model 1906 ammunition?

The Krag crates pictured in the Pitman Notes are from the period of time when they were made…circa 1895 to 1905…

Randy

Am not sure if the ordnance department made all of their own boxes or not could this be a box manufacture’s Cartouche?
Gourd

I have a Remington Arms / UMC Ball crate Lot 179 & can’t find that mark on it

PetedeCoux:

IT APPEARS THAT THE MARKING ONLY SHOWS UP ON FRANKFORD ARSENAL CRATES, AND TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE, ONLY ON CRATES FOR THE MODEL 1898 AMMUNITION.