Cal .45 M1911 Ball Box

Another recent gunshow find…

At the risk of sending Ray over the edge, I was hoping someone could tell me what year Lot No. 496 might have been produced in.

While not perfect, it seems to be a fairly clean and unopened box but I am curious as to what dates might be seen on the headstamps.

Dave

DaveE,

I have been doing a bit of research on 45 M1911 20 Rd boxes and Ammunition Lot 496 is FA 32. It does not always work so easy as a lot of boxes appear to have been relabelled with a new wrapper including new lot number over the old - frustrating not knowing what the old lot number was and in many cases they are still sealed so no headstamp information.

LesB

Dave

I seldom go over the edge because of Cal .45 M1911 lot numbers. At least not as much as I used to. You’d be surprised at how mellow I am, especially when it nears my jammy time of 9 PM.

Now, if you asked for a date on Cal .30 M1 or Match, I could have given you the year, month, day and hour. But the only way I would know about a carton of .45 is to - well you know. ;-)

But, it’s all moot because LesB has bailed us out.

Ray

LesB,

Thank you for that information. I hope your research leads to a body of work you might share with the IAA!

Ray,

You are absolutely right that there is no substitute for empirical knowledge of what one has in hand, but I’m just a junior in this field and (usually safely) assume there are likely others that have the information I seek. I suppose that at some point I will have matured enough to say the heck with it and open the unopened (to be sure) and pull those I always wondered about…

Dave